Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looking for a new CX/commuting bike

Hey everyone, i'm currently planning on buying a new "do-it-all" "rule-them-all" bike.

i'll use it for:
- "performance" commuting to work everyday (mostly on carless road)
- road hill climbing
- gravel/B-road mountain adventuring
- amateur CX racing

I've reduced my choice to 2 bikes but cannot choise between them:
the Canyon Inflite AL 8.0
and the Boardman CXR 8.4

One is Aluminium the other is carbon, but they weight almost the same. So I guess Boardman has put cheap heavy wheels that i'll have to change pretty soon after the purchase.
The Canyon seems quite well equiped with very good wheels and tyres and much better paintjob let's be honnest!
They both have press fit BB on which i've read a lot of storm about reliability.

My instinct would bend to the Boardman but I find it ridiculously cheap for the gear and the quality claimed, so i'm a bit suspicious. Especially when it comes to carbon frames where you cannot cut on build quality.

So does anyone has experience with one of those bikes or any advice regarding the configurations of those bikes?

Thanks a lot.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Alfa a | 7 years ago
1 like

Just brought a GT grade alloy 105.  Look amazing to me but seems to be a bit marmite for some. Got it from Wiggle for £699 which is surely the bargin of the century... not many left...

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you can get a long cage version, then maybe. They are listed up to 36t. The Force 1 rear derailleur with clutch/ long cage certainly does.

Brainkite | 7 years ago
0 likes

Okay, I guess I'm going to give a go to the boardman.

Do you know if it's possible to put the 11-42 cassette with the Force CX1 derailler?

Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
1 like

Watch out for the vcls post on the canyon. My friend had an inflite and he weighs about 90kg, and nothing he did would stop the damn thing slipping.

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
1 like

GT Grade. Such a blast to ride, and road bike fast. Just replaced my Ridley Cyclocross with one, and it's awesome fun.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

I have a boardman cxr carbon frame. Its the top of the range model. I have come off it twice and has been fine apart from some small scratches. I weigh nearly 100kg so no lightweight. Boardman often do cheap price but higher spec running gear. They don't seem as greedy as other manufacturers.

Re BB. Fit a converter so threaded bearings can be used. I use Shimano durace bearings. No creaking or clicking

Latest Comments