Home

This is a thread to suggest how to better run the game next year. all suggestions welcome. I'll start it off with the following suggestions:

Bigger team

More people to help run the game. this is prerequisite, really. some possible roles:

• startlist monkey: anyone that wants to can request access to the game to update startlists
  • stage scorer: selected users can update stage scores and run stage updates
  • full admin: set up competitions, manage stuff

Paid gig

I'd like to use the subs money to pay for the running of the game, based on a system of micropayments for doing stuff in the back end. I don't have a system in place for doing that, but how hard can it be?

• startlist monkey: access to startlists in return for free premium access for the year
  • stage scorer: on a per-task basis
  • full admin: possibly on an hourly basis

More seeding from road.cc

i'll use the time i've historically put into the admin of the game to try and drive more registrations through site and social

18 comments

Condor Andy [330 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

Great stuff Dave, thanks for getting back to us on this.  If you need help from users, I'll absolutely throw my name into the ring.  I would love to be involved and help out.

CheetahPonyBot [11 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

Startlist and scorer roles sound good - the bigger the team, the more races can be put into the game, and that's awesome.  1

If you get a big team together, you might want to consider a couple of sub-admins ("guild officers") on a per-task basis, keeping an eye on the team and the forums, making sure all races are covered, there's no overlapping between start list monkeys, the scorers, and that all the relevant forum posts (scoring error, startlist update, premium not going through...) get to the right people in a decent time. This type of role is basically a filter for the admin, so that (s)he doesn't drown in all the info and start making mistakes / get lost / give up due to too much micromanagement for one person to sensibly handle (while juggling a real life job and possibly a family).

Hourly basis for admin might be tricky. As an alternative, flat rate + set tasks (daily, weekly, site, staff...) + 3 strike policy is what most bigger guilds I've been with employed successfully. In my experience, no top tier guild officer working on such a deal ever had more than one strike.

Obviously, the admin also has to do a bunch of on the fly admining, but a set task list helps them stay organised, prioritise, and provides a framework of sorts for their role.

Of course, guilds and gaming servers aren't entirely comparable with the game, just sharing experience I have from elsewhere in hopes that it would help a bit.  1

Aragonite [266 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

I'd help too. Hope it's not too difficult! My computing skills suck. Must say I'm surprised Enrique didn't do more, thought it would be right down his street.

A set list of races to be covered would be a good start point.

Stumps [3479 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

I'll help as and when my shifts permit. Dont want the game to go the distance and anything we can do to stop it going that way is a plus.

I did say i was going to pack it in but the way Dave has responded to our points makes me want to give it another chance.

Perhaps a seperate web site for the game only is a possibility ?????

dave atkinson [6304 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes

Stumps wrote:

it is, although obviously we're using the main site forum functionality here, and there's a single sign on to the game. so it'd be a fair amount of work to make it separate, and i'm not sure what we'd gain

1 like

CheetahPonyBot wrote:

Startlist and scorer roles sound good - the bigger the team, the more races can be put into the game, and that's awesome.  1

If you get a big team together, you might want to consider a couple of sub-admins ("guild officers") on a per-task basis, keeping an eye on the team and the forums, making sure all races are covered, there's no overlapping between start list monkeys, the scorers, and that all the relevant forum posts (scoring error, startlist update, premium not going through...) get to the right people in a decent time. This type of role is basically a filter for the admin, so that (s)he doesn't drown in all the info and start making mistakes / get lost / give up due to too much micromanagement for one person to sensibly handle (while juggling a real life job and possibly a family).

Hourly basis for admin might be tricky. As an alternative, flat rate + set tasks (daily, weekly, site, staff...) + 3 strike policy is what most bigger guilds I've been with employed successfully. In my experience, no top tier guild officer working on such a deal ever had more than one strike.

Obviously, the admin also has to do a bunch of on the fly admining, but a set task list helps them stay organised, prioritise, and provides a framework of sorts for their role.

Of course, guilds and gaming servers aren't entirely comparable with the game, just sharing experience I have from elsewhere in hopes that it would help a bit.  1

I don't think the team would ever be big, as such. at the moment we're running with two which has been problematic. realistically we need more than that, but seven or eight people taking on some of the work would make it pretty easy to run. some kind of framework would definitely be handy though.

1 like

dave atkinson wrote:

Stumps wrote:

it is, although obviously we're using the main site forum functionality here, and there's a single sign on to the game. so it'd be a fair amount of work to make it separate, and i'm not sure what we'd gain

to clarify that, the game *is* entirely separate from road.cc. it's custom coded. it uses the road.cc account information for sign on though.

0 likes
dave atkinson wrote:
Stumps wrote:

It was just a thought, a stand alone game platform.

1wrangler [115 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

Just throwing my name in too, if you're looking for more folks to help out next season.

1 like

Stumps wrote:

It was just a thought, a stand alone game platform.

i'm happy to entertain that thought, what do you see as the benefits?

1 like

Dave, there's been a lot of mention from members that articles on the news feed are going down the blame game route with some derogatory comments made by posters which is putting people off and ultimately chasing them away.

If the game had its own platform then you can log on to whichever you want, either fantasy cycling or the road cc news site.

Its just a minor point i know as you dont have to go to the news feed but if its starting to chase people away perhaps it maybe worth a go to bring them back to the fold.

enrique [2385 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
Aragonite wrote:

... Must say I'm surprised Enrique didn't do more, thought it would be right down his street...

I did do a little!  1 I actually populated or helped populate a few of the start lists, like the Giro, the Dauphine and the Tour, behind closed doors!  1 I didn't do much else since Dave and TER picked it up with the start lists magnificently, for the Vuelta and other races, and when I went to check on start lists they were alredy done, but I never got access to the scoring, which, after you populate the start list becomes the most critical part of the game! I like the enthusiasm behind this initiative! I'm looking forward to more participation and a renewed interest in making the game as good as it has ever been! Very happy with this crew! Thanks!  1

tony kappler [132 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

I have previously thought of volunteering some time, (particularly for scoring of Aussie and American races, where obviously UK based personnel are not awake or sober enough to score quickly), but have been unsure of the amount of time required.  Any time estimates for a two fingered slow keyboard operator.

As a reference, you may have noted most of my posts are about game rules or scoring, although I branched out into general strategy discussions during the Vuelta, to try to inject a bit more life into the forum.

Cheers

dave atkinson [6304 posts] 10 months ago
1 like

tony kappler wrote:

I have previously thought of volunteering some time, (particularly for scoring of Aussie and American races, where obviously UK based personnel are not awake or sober enough to score quickly), but have been unsure of the amount of time required.  Any time estimates for a two fingered slow keyboard operator.

scoring a game is a case of downloading a spreadsheet, filling in the relevant blanks, re-uploading the spreadsheet and hitting go. normally it doesn't take more than about 20 minutes, assuming the race information is easy to come by

going through a startlist probably takes about 20 minutes too the first time, with further updates easier and quicker

TERatcliffe26 [4717 posts] 10 months ago
0 likes

Scoring is pretty easy and I have that down most of the time. Obviously help is most appreciated from those who Dave adds on board. Its the other stuff that at times can get difficult to do.

My biggest emphasis with whoever is on board is to set out exactly how we are going to score races, as to what is in the race and how exactly this is scored. and will relay my knowledge of what races are easiest to score as to who gives the best info. You wouldn't think it but outside of the Grand Tours Tour de Polonge is easy to score with the info it provides. Also any races that use matsport provide good scoring info.

Guzzibear [24 posts] 10 months ago
1 like

I have loved playing the game for the last couple of seasons and would hate to see anything jepodise it continuing. I would be happy to help out but could be time limited due to long train commute although I do get free wi-fi on the train. Add me to the list if you still need people.

Condor Andy [330 posts] 10 months ago
0 likes

Is the new email (received yesterday) an invitation to a new survey, or the one that was sent out a few weeks ago?

Might just fill it out anyway.

rgriffith7 [18 posts] 10 months ago
0 likes

I would love to help. Can you add more women's events to the competition?