Home

This is a forum topic specifically to suggest changes to the gameplay and functionality of the site. traditionally enrique will request a 'reset transfers' button so let's just assume that.

49 comments

Aragonite [267 posts] 1 year ago
3 likes

A set list of races to be covered before the season starts.

acooke007 [1 post] 1 year ago
1 like

A season long standard and pursuit comp like the uci world tour rankings

Velodrone [5 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

I find my level of interest in the Purist competitions dies more or less just after the competition starts as there's no involvement after that - its especially a problem with the grand tours. I rarely check how even they get on.

My suggestion therefore would be for users to pick a fixed squad of riders (15? 18?) at the beginning of each Purist competition and then be allowed to make as many day to day transfers from the squad to the team for each individual stage. You would not be able to replace any squad members.

Andrew1983 [4 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

What about some sort of road captain system. It could be that you pick a captain and that score has a multiplier. Maybe × 1.5 or × 2.
You could have a captain for 1 rider on one stage only or have a captain through each stage. I'd prefer one stage only so you have to use it wisely but not sure how difficult that would be to enact?

dave atkinson [6318 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

Velodrone wrote:

I find my level of interest in the Purist competitions dies more or less just after the competition starts as there's no involvement after that - its especially a problem with the grand tours. I rarely check how even they get on.

My suggestion therefore would be for users to pick a fixed squad of riders (15? 18?) at the beginning of each Purist competition and then be allowed to make as many day to day transfers from the squad to the team for each individual stage. You would not be able to replace any squad members.

i get what you mean, but there's already a competition where you can make transfers and that. doesn't really make sense to change the purist to be similar to the standard.

purist only really exists because people wanted specifically that: a competition with no transfers.

RafRafRafRaf [11 posts] 1 year ago
4 likes

Numerical selectors (drop-down menu?) rather than or as well as click-and-drag sliders for setting price/points limit, please. Problematic to use current setup on iOS, and difficult for some assistive tech users too. 

Maybe show form alongside value, speciality etc in the lists?

dst [43 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

How about an external RESTful API so the more technincal amoungst us could do some potentially cool stuff?

THE SILENT ASSASSIN [551 posts] 1 year ago
2 likes

I dont really care what , if any tweeks are made...i just want some kind of re-assurance that there will be more interest shown by yourself Dave and other road.cc staff.....

This season the service has been poor, the efforts of TER aside...... Questions have been unanswered for weeks if not months in some cases, startlist changes have been atrocious at best, race start cut off points have been woeful, promises of Grand Tour prizes that have been ignored...

To be honest for a paid for service, be it only a tenner, it has been awful this year, by far the worst in my 6 years of playing...

For me the worst thing has been the ignorance by the game owners to simply offer replies to polite sensible questions from your disgruntled clients, as that at the end of the day is what we are...

I still LOVE the concept of the game, please dont let it die, and convince me and many others that 2017 will bring the game back to where it was a couple of years back.... Quite simply the best Fantasy sports game on the market...

Over to you Dave,

Steve Sproston

hippopotts [1 post] 1 year ago
1 like

First I would like to say I an delighted to have found your fantasy cycling service, and think it is well worth the fee! Please, please keep up the good work.

However, you asked for ideas, so... I would like a better comparison facility ie being able to compare how I'm doing against others during competitions. Don't know if it is practical or not, or perhaps you can now and I'm not using the leagues properly!  Also disappointing that there were almost no Ladies competitions included this year, although that may be outside your control. Finally somone else posted about the idea of a team squad of say 10-12 for purist races, and you could then select from that for individual stages. My trouble with the purist comps is that once picked, I then completely forget about them - not good surely. Again, not sure if practical - the behind the scenes work must be managed by someone.

Colin Peyresourde [1819 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

Love the game.

One idea: pick a DS for the team (only head DS's, not assistants etc). Points are won if the team the DS is associated with win. So while you may not pick the stage winner you can accrue points from choosing the right DS.

Stevepro79's response is a little scouring, but agree that at times it seems that the admin has been a bit slow. I have noticed that awards and points have not been promptly added to the game following the end of a stage. Not always easy, I know, but if it happens seamlessly no one notices - perhaps have a deadline by which updates are done, and if any issues have occurred (either actual race DSQs or technological), have an update message which just lets people know that the update is delayed. Or even an update checklist which indicates that the last stage details have been processed or are in process.

0 likes

hippopotts wrote:

Finally somone else posted about the idea of a team squad of say 10-12 for purist races, and you could then select from that for individual stages. My trouble with the purist comps is that once picked, I then completely forget about them - not good surely. Again, not sure if practical - the behind the scenes work must be managed by someone.

I'm not against this method of gameplay in principle. but for me it'd have to replace what we have. so instead of having a standard and a purist, just run some kind of squad system with transfers. it's too close to the standard game to really work as something that runs concurrently.

0 likes

dst wrote:

How about an external RESTful API so the more technincal amoungst us could do some potentially cool stuff?

what kind of stuff do you have in mind?

fxceltic [66 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

Dave, the only thing that needs to be said is you need to run the game (which is otherwise great) properly next year 

Its been a total fucking shambles this season (excuse my French but there's no other way to say it). If it wasn't for TER then many more comps would have gone by the wayside.

Many of us have attempted to engage with you about this with no response, and even here someone else has said this and you appear to have addressed other comments but not the same me about complaints

2 likes

dave atkinson wrote:

hippopotts wrote:

Finally somone else posted about the idea of a team squad of say 10-12 for purist races, and you could then select from that for individual stages. My trouble with the purist comps is that once picked, I then completely forget about them - not good surely. Again, not sure if practical - the behind the scenes work must be managed by someone.

I'm not against this method of gameplay in principle. but for me it'd have to replace what we have. so instead of having a standard and a purist, just run some kind of squad system with transfers. it's too close to the standard game to really work as something that runs concurrently.

i'm genuinely interested in what people think about this as an alternative. i've long been of the opinion that running purist and standard competitions for everything is a bit pointless, and purist doesn't give you much reason to interact with a comp once it's closed. this approach has a bit of both.

I think the squad size would need to be bigger relative to the team size though. so a scenario:

1) you pick a squad before the competition starts. it's a squad of, say, 20 riders. there's a budget constraint, like there is now.

2) when the competition begins you can't make any more changes to your squad.

3) you can select a team for each stage from your squad. any 8 riders from the 20. so for the big summit finishes you can load it up with climbers and sprinters for the flats. but only the riders you picked, so if someone a bit unknown starts doing well you can't sub him in if you didn't already have him.

4) transfers? could be limited, or unlimited. you could conceivably pick your teams several stages in advance if it was unlimited.

0 likes

fxceltic wrote:

Dave, the only thing that needs to be said is you need to run the game (which is otherwise great) properly next year 

Its been a total fucking shambles this season (excuse my French but there's no other way to say it). If it wasn't for TER then many more comps would have gone by the wayside.

Many of us have attempted to engage with you about this with no response, and even here someone else has said this and you appear to have addressed other comments but not the same me about complaints

there's a thread here - http://road.cc/content/forum/205259-fantasy-cycling-2017-game-management - where we'll be discussing that. this thread's about functionality

fxceltic [66 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
dave atkinson wrote:
fxceltic wrote:

there's a thread here - http://road.cc/content/forum/205259-fantasy-cycling-2017-game-management - where we'll be discussing that. this thread's about functionality

putting aside for a moment that I did clink the link in the email for the correct forum and it brought me here anyway, I think we can all agree that in the light of the problems we, your paying customers, have had this season, what is definitely most important is that we express our dissatisfaction in the correct forum.

1 like

fxceltic wrote:

putting aside for a moment that I did clink the link in the email for the correct forum and it brought me here anyway, I think we can all agree that in the light of the problems we, your paying customers, have had this season, what is definitely most important is that we express our dissatisfaction in the correct forum.

have you read the other thread? do you agree with the suggestions? do you have any of your own?

i'm not being pedantic, i'm trying to work towards a solution, and making suggestions to that end. so if you want to continue to express your dissatisfaction here then that's fine, and i'm sorry that you're dissatisfied, and i'll admit that this year has been pretty problematic. but it'll be more constructive to get engaged on the other thread.

Sniffer [427 posts] 1 year ago
2 likes
dave atkinson wrote:
dave atkinson wrote:
hippopotts wrote:

i'm genuinely interested in what people think about this as an alternative. i've long been of the opinion that running purist and standard competitions for everything is a bit pointless, and purist doesn't give you much reason to interact with a comp once it's closed. this approach has a bit of both.

I think the squad size would need to be bigger relative to the team size though. so a scenario:

1) you pick a squad before the competition starts. it's a squad of, say, 20 riders. there's a budget constraint, like there is now.

3) you can select a team for each stage from your squad. any 8 riders from the 20. so for the big summit finishes you can load it up with climbers and sprinters for the flats. but only the riders you picked, so if someone a bit unknown starts doing well you can't sub him in if you didn't already have him.

4) transfers? could be limited, or unlimited. you could conceivably pick your teams several stages in advance if it was unlimited.

I wouldn't want to lose Standard as is.

Aragonite [267 posts] 1 year ago
2 likes

Might be biased, but I wouldn't want to lose Purist.

einypw [4 posts] 1 year ago
2 likes

I like the idea of a squad picked at the start of a race maybe 20 riders. Maybe transfers depending on number of stages, although not sure about that. I am not sure we need a purist and a standard. Maybe in big tours could have a secondary points and mountains comp for certain stages.

Also like the idea of a captain on each stage scoring double. Maybe if you have leaders jersey.

I know people are moaning about service this year but its only £10 and is best cycling game on internet.

Used to like the cycling weekly fantasy ideal of t shirts for top 10 or so finish. Could have top 100 at end of year. I'd pay extra to have that.

runaroundsioux [16 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

I am a relative new comer to the game .. and I love it. However, I must say this year as been a bit of a let down as far as administration goes. TER has stood up, but Dave, you have been missing in action. Which is a real shame.

I ,for one, am happy to pay my 10 quid (even 20). But I do think prizes for major competions, would be an incentive. However, a major prize for the overall season winner should be a MUST. I won a beautiful bike for winning La Vuelta a few years ago, but my friend Tony Kappler got nothing for  winning the overall year competition 12 months later!!!! Just doesnt seem fair. I know how much work/time he put into that effort.

Anyway, so long as you keep the channels of communication open Dave, then I am sure we can re grow this game. It is a fabulous game and I love it.....even if I havent ridden a bike for 40 odd years.

Listen, and respond, to those that have concerns Dave. It can only beneifit us all.

redskin44 [1 post] 1 year ago
2 likes

Make it possible to pick your team in the standard competition for future days.  By only picking the next day, there are many days when I did not have the chance to update my squad.

archieboy [45 posts] 1 year ago
1 like
redskin44 wrote:

Make it possible to pick your team in the standard competition for future days.  By only picking the next day, there are many days when I did not have the chance to update my squad.

This please.

Saint Mikie 41 [61 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

Been playing for 4 years and want it to go on. I know it might be a tad tricky but more ladies races would be great. I for one quite like the purist game and would hope that it would stay.

enrique [2386 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

For me the worst thing has been...

Oh, God, seeing you post how ...

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

This season the service has been poor... Questions have been unanswered for weeks if not months in some cases, startlist changes have been atrocious at best, race start cut off points have been woeful, promises of Grand Tour prizes that have been ignored... it has been awful this year, by far the worst in my 6 years of playing...

again and again and again... Give it a rest!

Dave Atkinson wrote:

... traditionally enrique will request a 'reset transfers' button so let's just assume that...

Absolutely!  1 Or!  1 Unlimited transfer option for all stage races and the Classics!  1

tony kappler [134 posts] 1 year ago
1 like

I think the gameplay on the standard game is just brilliant. Complex and demanding of deep analysis. Purist is what it is; it takes some initial work, then it is set and forget.  I would like both games to stay the same.

There are a number of technical problems with the database, which have been around for a while;

eg; points scored by riders in a comp are often incorrect.

In "view user", stage scores are incorrect; eg Eneco purist actually is Eneco standard.

I would like to see the sum of season, purist and bonus games as an automatic league.

Otherwise great game. Looking forward to 2017.

Cheers

2 likes

Saint Mikie 41 wrote:

Been playing for 4 years and want it to go on. I know it might be a tad tricky but more ladies races would be great. I for one quite like the purist game and would hope that it would stay.

we did try the ladies' races for a season but the scarcity of the startlist and result information just made it really difficult to run

cgipryan [210 posts] 1 year ago
1 like
Sniffer wrote:
dave atkinson wrote:
dave atkinson wrote:
hippopotts wrote:

I wouldn't want to lose Standard as is.

I love Standard, really, in both its old format (with fixed 2 transfers per day in stage races) or with lump-transfer-sum (45 transfers per GT, for example, with freedom to distribute them as one likes). I think both Standard ways are great for stage races. But I'm still kind of unsatisfied with how this pans out for the Classics. Maybe we could try a "pilot" classics module with some of the ideas above (for the spring classics, for example, everyone picks 20 riders and only these ones can be picked up for the various individual races)? I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but if it could be done it might make the classics more fun. Then again, maybe all of us would pick the same 20, beginning with... oh, my, Spartacus is no more...

chrisdstripes [1741 posts] 1 year ago
3 likes

It seems crazy to be suggesting little things that might slightly improve the game. The biggest improvement you can make to the game is to just run it consistently well. Sure there are things that might make things more interesting (a badge for picking the winner of every single stage of a tour, for example), but really the game is fantastic, all you need to do to make it a lot better is update points more consistently in terms of timing, upload startlists earlier (yes even if it does mean they are unconfirmed), have someone in authority respond to genuine complaints on the Forum, and generally run the game in a consistent manner. If you can manage to do that with volunteers then great, but this season has been by far the worst (as seems to be generally accepted) in terms of consistency, so either way an improvement is clearly needed.

If we get that, I don't care if you don't make any other changes to the game. Its great as it is.

(Usual disclaimer - the ability and commitment of the volunteer(s) is not in question)

enrique [2386 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
cgipryan wrote:

I love Standard, really, in... its old format (with fixed 2 transfers per day in stage races)...

Wow, I miss that a lot... I liked the pace, the accrual process, the timing of when to spend... much (!) more than the lump sum!  1

Pages