Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

One life. Live it.

not particularly road, not particularly cycling....of all the motoring tribes, this lot really grind my gears.  

You spend an hour getting away from the motor car, climbing hills, facing the all the elements can throw at you, only to find you're expected to let pass three land rovers or whatever, churning up your trail.   

On hols in west Somerset, a few days ago having walked for nearly an hour, we came across signs saying there was a motor rally in this area today.  

The cleverly worded message was that although you could spectate, really you'd better clear off if you know what's good for you - safety, you know.  We didn't actually meet any rallying cars, just two of their outriders  - did we see the signs?  Spoilt the day a bit. 

I'm sure actual rally enthusiasts are knights of the road - at least that they're thinking about their driving, right, but the idea of accessible production cars being used in this way on something other than a dedicated race track always worries me because there are always some impressionable types around who'll try to copy.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

FatBoyW | 7 years ago
1 like

Rallying or off roading?

Rally - well I have a soft spot for that.

I'm sure it woudl be annoying if  you were excluded from your favourite area. But you are not just made aware for safety. 

Do realise that the rally will be paying for the privilige to share the forest with you and the price that is paid is sufficient to both make sure the roads are repaired and the access to the forest for trails and conservation can go  on through the rest of the year.

I have to say that I found the MTB riders attitude when I asked him to consider his safety and not ride on the live course of  a rally event was to say the least disappointing! I was trying to point out that his one life was about to become a short one life - if he deliberately rode past a queue of waiting rally cars into the stage tehy were competing on.

Probably would have had to wait maybe 20 minutes to avoid risking his life and the competitors lives too - what a  numpty (IMHO).

So yeah one life live it but don't shove your undeniable rights into the path of a car driven by someone who could reasonably expect you to be sensible and not be on a 'closed road' stage.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
1 like

I guess the rally is once or maybe a handfulof times per year?

Live your one life but let others live theirs too?

psling | 7 years ago
2 likes

Well, everyone has to have something to whinge about I guess.

My bugbear is people who believe that because they have accessed the great outdoors on foot, they are somehow better than other people and have sole rights to the enjoyment of the area. They're not.

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
1 like

Irritating sticker (outside of the Camel Trophy vehicle use) - get that - but what's the hate of rally ? It's OK as long as it's on a race track somewhere you say, but.. it's a rally ... i'm missing something here clearly. 

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like

Can't stand these people. There's one at work. Land Rover with the roof exhaust and 'one life, live it' sticker. Also massively obese. One life, eat it.

I'm sure the vehicle is actually useful about 2 days a year in this country but for me it's a bit like using a Caterham as  the family car.

brooksby | 7 years ago
1 like
riotgibbon | 7 years ago
3 likes

those off-road stickers wind me up something chronic. It's carpe diem for the stupid

one earth, trash it

possibly better than YOLO though

Latest Comments