Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommendations for disc brake framesets

So, 2 weeks ago I was on my bike and got hit by a van. I got off pretty lightly - shattered talus bone in my right ankle (which means I'm facing 12 weeks of it being non-weight bearing). My bike, on the other hand, was not so lucky. 

Seat stay sheared apart, big crack in the down tube, and a crack in the seat tube. Happily, all the stuff hanging on the frame (wheels, handlebars, drivetrain etc) somehow escaped damage. 

I'm therefore in the market for a new disc brake road bike frame set. I'm tempted to just get a straight replacement - Rose Xeon CDX - as the bike was super lightweight for a disc brake bike (less than 7.5kg) and was fast and comfortable. But, it's always good to see what else is out there. So, any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes

I already have a Rose CDX and the disc is just life and hand saver. 

For thos we buy the rim frames they will spend the extra for disc in the future because it is a trend that they won't be able to stop just like mountain bikes 10 years ago. 

I personally have upgraded to Kinesis Titanium GF ti and I can't be happier. 

there are two bikes I will choose to buy if I have to replace Kinesis:

1. 2017 Rose https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-x-lite-cdx-3100/aid:890048

2. Trek Domane SLR Disc. 

marcof11 | 7 years ago
0 likes

have you considered the new 2017 Rose X-lite CDX ?

I have gone for the Rose X-lite cdx 8800 to be delivered inJanuary..

Can't wait

Marco

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you don't mind going the cyclocross route, I'd recommend the Giant TCX if it's offered as a frameset over there. I have a 2014 TCX SLR 2 and it sees mostly road/commute duty.

The most recent iterations now have Flat Mount brake caliper hardpoints and 12 mm through-axles front and rear for 2017, regardless of which material you want your frame made out of. Previously (2014-2016), the aluminum TCX SLR frames always had QR (open) rear dropouts, and you had a choice of either a QR aluminum+carbon fork, or a full-carbon one with a 15 mm through-axle.

Only real downside I can think of with the TCX is the proprietary D-shaped composite seatpost. Good luck

paulrattew replied to TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

TypeVertigo wrote:

If you don't mind going the cyclocross route, I'd recommend the Giant TCX if it's offered as a frameset over there. I have a 2014 TCX SLR 2 and it sees mostly road/commute duty.

The most recent iterations now have Flat Mount brake caliper hardpoints and 12 mm through-axles front and rear for 2017, regardless of which material you want your frame made out of. Previously (2014-2016), the aluminum TCX SLR frames always had QR (open) rear dropouts, and you had a choice of either a QR aluminum+carbon fork, or a full-carbon one with a 15 mm through-axle.

Only real downside I can think of with the TCX is the proprietary D-shaped composite seatpost. Good luck

Thanks.  1

I'm wanting something that will allow me to go reasonably fast for long miles and hours in the saddle, especially multiday sportives and that sort of thing. CX bikes, even ones as good as the TCX, just aren't comfortable enough for that in my experience.

jacknorell | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm surprised that the Cannondale CAAD12 Disc hasn't been mentioned yet.

Ribble has a number of framesets within your budget as well, the new Endurance carbon may work for you, or Planet-X RTD 90?

paulrattew replied to jacknorell | 7 years ago
0 likes

jacknorell wrote:

I'm surprised that the Cannondale CAAD12 Disc hasn't been mentioned yet.

Ribble has a number of framesets within your budget as well, the new Endurance carbon may work for you, or Planet-X RTD 90?

CAAD 12 disc is a great bike, but I really don't want quick release drop outs - thru axles are just much better for disc brakes in my experience. Which rules out the Planet X framesets as well, as they only come as quick releases. 

I'll take a look at the Ribble frame

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to hear about your accident.  At that budget is it worth talking to a framebuilder?

The compensation claim might help you go titanium... for both ankle and frame  1

paulrattew | 7 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone have any experience of the Boardman SLS Disc / SLR Endurance Disc? I can get the frameset with a decent discount, but I don't know anyone who has any experience of the what the bike and the frame is like

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi Paul,

I can think of few alternatives:

-Genesis Zero disc frameset

-BMC Roadmachine, although finding a frameset would be impossible

-Colnago AC-R Disc (Wiggle is doing it at the moment, if not wrong)

-Kinesis Aithein Disc (alu frame)

-Mason Definition (alu frame)

-Bowman Pilgrims (alu frame)

Ogi

paulrattew replied to Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

Hi Paul,

I can think of few alternatives:

-Genesis Zero disc frameset

-BMC Roadmachine, although finding a frameset would be impossible

-Colnago AC-R Disc (Wiggle is doing it at the moment, if not wrong)

-Kinesis Aithein Disc (alu frame)

-Mason Definition (alu frame)

-Bowman Pilgrims (alu frame)

Ogi

I should have said - budget is roughly £1k, so that rules the Genesis Zero out (which is about £1.8k).  

BMC Roadmachine would be perfect, but it isn't available as a frameset. 

The definition is definitely in the running, although is quite a bit heavier than I would ideally want. 

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at the Kinesis 4S Disc? A friend has recommended it.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I hope you make a speedy recovery, talus/ calcaneus can have major implications to mobility/balance. Rest and recover. Don't be too shocked of the atrophy in the calf/thigh, it will come back given time and strength work. Do your physio religously and listen to your body. I suffered a fractured calcaneus, 18 months later I can walk normally and cycle fine, but can't stand for more than 10 mins or next day I am agony and need to rest.

paulrattew replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

I hope you make a speedy recovery, talus/ calcaneus can have major implications to mobility/balance. Rest and recover. Don't be too shocked of the atrophy in the calf/thigh, it will come back given time and strength work. Do your physio religously and listen to your body. I suffered a fractured calcaneus, 18 months later I can walk normally and cycle fine, but can't stand for more than 10 mins or next day I am agony and need to rest.

12 weeks stuck in a cast non-weight bearing and I'm expecting my previously very muscley leg to look like a twiglet. The blood supply to the bone has been damaged, so there is a good chance the bone won't heal and might die, which would mean they will have to fuse the ankle. It's going to be a long long road.

Glad to hear you are recovering

CXR94Di2 replied to paulrattew | 7 years ago
0 likes

paulrattew wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

12 weeks stuck in a cast non-weight bearing and I'm expecting my previously very muscley leg to look like a twiglet. The blood supply to the bone has been damaged, so there is a good chance the bone won't heal and might die, which would mean they will have to fuse the ankle. It's going to be a long long road.

Glad to hear you are recovering

Same here, 12 weeks in cast(changed 3 times for comfort issues, muscle loss) then aircast boot for further 6 weeks, eventually reducing boot and learning to hobble at first.  18 weeks I started on a cycle turbo trainer which helped me enormously. I have kept improving  until a few months ago where I have levelled off in recovery.  This winter my be difficult(cold and frractures), In fact I am much better when the temps are high 20s 

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Rose is undoubtedly cheap and light. 6 months ago I found myself torn between the cdx and Focus Cayo Disc, which also offers good value. I eventually went a different route and bought a rim braked Addict, and with Ultegra brakes I personally don't need discs. I love the Addict to bits, and for 2017 there is a disc version for those who don't mind the extra weight and money, also a disc frameset. Being a Rose owner I sense you like something outwith the big 4, so I suggest you check out the Cayo and Addict.

paulrattew replied to Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Griff500 wrote:

The Rose is undoubtedly cheap and light. 6 months ago I found myself torn between the cdx and Focus Cayo Disc, which also offers good value. I eventually went a different route and bought a rim braked Addict, and with Ultegra brakes I personally don't need discs. I love the Addict to bits, and for 2017 there is a disc version for those who don't mind the extra weight and money, also a disc frameset. Being a Rose owner I sense you like something outwith the big 4, so I suggest you check out the Cayo and Addict.

I went for Rose because the quality of bike I was able to get for the money just seemed so much better than I was able to get elsewhere. Given that I'm just looking for a new frameset now I'm a bit more open to other options. 

I have my reservations over the Scott - a couple of friends who have tried it have said that it is no where near as good as its rim braked counterpart (which they both loved). 

The Focus Cayo is definitely on the list. although finding a dealer who is prepared to sell just the frameset isn't as easy as one would think.

Griff500 replied to paulrattew | 7 years ago
0 likes

paulrattew wrote:

Griff500 wrote:

I went for Rose because the quality of bike I was able to get for the money just seemed so much better than I was able to get elsewhere. Given that I'm just looking for a new frameset now I'm a bit more open to other options. 

I have my reservations over the Scott - a couple of friends who have tried it have said that it is no where near as good as its rim braked counterpart (which they both loved). 

The Focus Cayo is definitely on the list. although finding a dealer who is prepared to sell just the frameset isn't as easy as one would think.

Fair comment on the Rose. The main reason I went elsewhere was that living in Scotland, I asked the UK rep whether he ever did demos North of Watford. I was told that he knew of no bikes in the North, and if I wanted to see one my best bet was to fly to Germany. 

Disappointed to hear your feedback on the Scott disc, because like your friends, I love my rim braked Addict. After a period of total  confusion before buying it, with 3 or 4 bikes on the agenda, now I wouldn't swap it for anything. In addition to the ride, it is nice having a quality brand which is the only one of its kind parked outside the cake shop! I guess your friends aren't comfusing the new road disc variant with the 2016 gravel disc Addict? These are different animals.

Latest Comments