Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campag lockring threads & other mysteries.

I am looking for a lockring for a Campag Veloce freehub which requires a 26mm thread.   I keep being offered units described as having 1.29"Bci threads.  As far as I have been aware, the 1.29"Bci thread standard is for a fixed wheel lockring with a left hand thread.

The inside diameter of the Campag sprockets is 1.16".

My query is:

Is this some new variation to the standards that I have missed?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

freebsd_frank | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Particularly adverts for Token rings, but for others too.

What search terms are you using? Token ring is a largely obsolete networking technology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_ring

Check out Campag's support site too, if you haven't already:

http://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support/support

Grizzerly replied to freebsd_frank | 7 years ago
0 likes

freebsd_frank wrote:

Quote:

Particularly adverts for Token rings, but for others too.

What search terms are you using? Token ring is a largely obsolete networking technology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_ring

Check out Campag's support site too, if you haven't already:

http://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support/support

Err...

lockrings bearing the brand name 'Token'...

Grizzerly | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have found one, from J D Whisker  Ltd.  I didn't realise Whiskers were still going, they were around when I started out in the early 1960s.  

What really foxes me is the constant references to BC 1.29" threads on adverts for replacement lockrings.  Particularly adverts for Token rings, but for others too.  I can't find any information on any BC 1.29" standard thread other than for a lefthand threaded fixed-wheel lockring.   It is possible that this is just an error, but it seems odd that so many suppliers quote it.   

I wondered if anyone else had any information.

daccordimark replied to Grizzerly | 7 years ago
0 likes

Grizzerly wrote:

I have found one, from J D Whisker  Ltd.  I didn't realise Whiskers were still going, they were around when I started out in the early 1960s.  

What really foxes me is the constant references to BC 1.29" threads on adverts for replacement lockrings.  Particularly adverts for Token rings, but for others too.  I can't find any information on any BC 1.29" standard thread other than for a lefthand threaded fixed-wheel lockring.   It is possible that this is just an error, but it seems odd that so many suppliers quote it.   

Excellent news, how much was it? I'll get one for mine if it's not too pricey - and I'd forgotten about Whiskers too.

I think the thread thing is just down to the fact that shops repeat the spec given to them by the manufacturer without checking it. Obviously Token don't know what BC1.29" really means and other low-end manufacturers who want to compete with them just copy their blurb and fancy colours.

Grizzerly replied to daccordimark | 7 years ago
1 like

daccordimark wrote:

Grizzerly wrote:

Excellent news, how much was it? I'll get one for mine if it's not too pricey - and I'd forgotten about Whiskers too.

I think the thread thing is just down to the fact that shops repeat the spec given to them by the manufacturer without checking it. Obviously Token don't know what BC1.29" really means and other low-end manufacturers who want to compete with them just copy their blurb and fancy colours.

It cost 16 & a bit quid with 4 quid p&p.  Ordered it Friday late-ish afternoon, arrived Tuesday AM!

You have to phone Whiskers, as they have no internet presence at all!  I've got 2 numbers for them:

01438 798772

01707 326115

They were very helpful, checked stock & called back, old style service!

Good luck with yours!

wgtwiddle | 7 years ago
0 likes
Vejnemojnen | 7 years ago
0 likes

first generation nine speed hubs without the oversized rear axle use 26mm diametre lockrings. those were always included with the hubs, and, generally nobody buys wheelset or rear hub from that stock without the appropriate lockring.  1

Not impossible to find, it takes generally about 1-2 hours if you list a "wanted" advert in some local facebook group  3

daccordimark | 7 years ago
0 likes

You need a CS-201 lockring which is almost impossible to find. I keep meaning to call Mercian on 01332 752468 to see if they've got one for my Veloce hub.

An alternative is this:

http://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio_/marchisio-lockrings-gmrcl?page=2

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Campag have had the same splines since 9 speed, but they use different lock rings depending on whether the smallest is 12t or 11t.

By contrast, there were several different 8 speed splines, so there can be a few complications...

rowes | 7 years ago
0 likes

Had a similar situation with lockrings when I changed campag wheels? Have you done that recently? As they have changed size. The Veloce cassette wasn't the issue. My previous lockring was too small for the new free hub.

Fortunately my LBS had a spare one in exchange for milk money.

I'll have a look on the wheels and see what they put on it.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
3 likes

Whenever I want some obscure cycle part that no LBS stocks and which has never reached the big internet stores I automatically go to SJS Cycles.  They usually manage to turn up exactly the thing I need for about £1:69.

Latest Comments