Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Specialized Tarmac SL4 Elite too racey for a first road bike?

Hi guys,

So as I am starting to get fitter and faster on my hybrid I find myself getting into more of a race position as I am peddling (leaning right into my handlebars, rear end in the air). I just dont feel efficient on a hybrid, after every ride I think more and more its time to get a road bike.

With a specialized concept shop not too far away I have my sights set on the Tarmac SL4 Elite. The question however is the geometry too racey for a first road bike? I remeber you guys warning me againast purchasing a Boardman SLR.

The reason I choose the Tarmac is because it has a decent spec, carbon frame and I am very picky on how a bike looks, sounds silly I know but I want to be 100% happy with my purchase. If I feel I perform good. Also my hybrid is a pretty decent bike, cost £1k new and weighs sub 10kg, I want my next purchase to feel like an upgrade.

Please nobody worry about the price, afterall I can always sell it if I dont like it.

All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

drosco | 7 years ago
2 likes

If you're already tempted, then you'll end up getting one eventually. Get it.

newtonk | 7 years ago
0 likes

I say go for it Perkster, make no compromises mate or you'll be left wondering what you're missing out on.

I went for a race-oriented Rose road bike when I upgraded from hybrid and in hindsight (and having tried out other bikes since) I picked the most uncomfortable and unsuitable bike I could have found for commuting on London roads and venturing out on long rides.

However, the body soon adapts, stems are reversible, spacers are cheap, a carbon seatpost WILL support a quick release Carradice saddlebag for all your gear without the need for panniers, tyres are available in sizes wider than 23mm for extra comfort (should your frame accommodate - mine doesn't), and, most importantly, find a saddle that's right for you and you've already won half the comfort battle.

5 years on and with no modifications other than aforementioned saddle, you try prising the Rose outta my cold dead hands.   Go on, just try!

Ultimately, if you like to zip along quickly there's no such thing as too racy, even on your commute (hell, it's pretty much the most fun part of my day most days - even in London).  You'll soon get used to it no matter how uncomfortable it may feel at first.  And as for a 100 mile ride - well, that's gonna hurt anyway, right!?

Do it! 

Nick T | 7 years ago
0 likes

A Tarmac isn't too racy for a first road bike. What do you plan to do on it though? It's too racy for a daily commuter, are you in a cycling club? Plan to join? Do you go on any long rides, or hope to start knocking out 50-100km spins? As a means of general transport, a Tarmac is a bad choice. 

Tjuice | 7 years ago
2 likes

I'd strongly recommend going for a decent test ride on a few different bikes and then buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Tarmac has obviously caught your imagination but don't rush to dismiss the alternatives.

And don't get carried away with the myth that a stiffer frame is faster. It's not. An 'endurance' bike with zerts, springy seat stays or whatever won't be any slower, whether it's over 5 or 500 miles. If it has room for fatter tyres then you have that option available to you should you want to try it and a few additional grams here or there is nothing in the scheme of things.

It might be worth comparing the Tarmac and Roubaix carefully before you spend your cash. This Cycling Tips comparison may be worth reading.

I'd also recommend visiting more than one dealer. If nothing else, you'll come away confident that you have chosen the bike (and size) that suits you best.

Carton | 7 years ago
1 like

I'd say go for the Tarmac, you seem like the competitive sort, so it's likely as good for you to feel like the bike isn't holding you back, as it is for some of us to feel like the bike isn't destroying our backs. Perhaps you'll initally require a few spacers and a shorter stem. But that's a great bike that should let you progress into gran fondos or proper races.

However, if the main use for this bike will be commuting, and you just want to be a little quicker on your nine-mile commute then do consider a racier endurance bike, just for the wider tyres and the disc brakes. Stark house words and all that. 

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

I used to predominantly ride hybrids/mountain bikes until about eight years ago when I get tempted back into road bikes (having ridden "racers" as a nipper).  I was never convinced by road bikes around town (thin tyres/skittish). My journey from hybrids back to road incorporated a roubaix, felt f series, cannondale synapse and cannondale caad12. In a nutshell, they are all totally different horses for courses and whilst enjoying my time riding them, I would no more take the f series/caad12 for an 8 hour ride than I would seek to acquire a racing car to drive around town in (not that I drive in town much anyway).  

The Tarmac is an excellent racing frame, stiff, fast and responsive (much like the f series and caad12) transmitting power efficiently from your legs into forwards motion. The compromise is that racing frames are harder rides, more jarring and a bit heavier going if on rougher terrain.

On the other hand the roubaix and synapse frames are more comfortable (because they flex a bit more and absorp crappy roads etc) and you can ride on for hours on them. I did one ride on the synapse for 8 hours this year and I could have just kept going (were it not for other commitments) as it was a joy to be in the saddle. I rode the roubaix to Paris in 24 hours and it too was a joy. I could not say the same for the caad 12 or f series !

Anyway, to cut a long ramble short, what sort of riding are you wanting to do ? If less than a couple of hours, any frame will do but more than that, a relaxed geometry will make you want to ride the bike more. If you want to sprint between the lights then the tarmac will do you proud (like a caad12 or f series).  Horses for courses but have a think agout what riding you want to do !

Good luck

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bought my first proper road bike 3 years ago at the age of 55. Although it had a race frame, the bike shop set it up quite relaxed, with stem inverted. I bought my second proper road bike this year at the age of  57. Race geometry again, very aggressive setup, with the bars 7cm lower than my other bike. My first few rides caused a bit of back pain after 45 minutes, but this soon disappeared. I incurred a lower back disc injury nearly 20 years ago which used to cause me problems until 3 years ago when I took up road cycling, now no problems. Fitter now than I've been for 25 years and in the top 25 % this year up Talla Steep Section (half a mile at 13%). My advice: Go for it. Set it up relaxed and move the bars down as you become more comfortable. 

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

Go to the LBS and ask to take the bike for a test ride. You and only you will know if the geometry and ride compliance suites your needs and makes you smile, or not.

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

You need to try them but I have a 2008 Roubaix and a supersix evo hi-mod, which is a bit lower with more racey geometry. I find that comfort  = speed over any kind of distance so the Roubaix is no slower it just feels slower but I don't really use it anymore just cos it's not as much fun. Today I felt a bit beat up by the Supersix and wished I was on the Roubaix. The latest Roubaix (2017) is racier than the old versions but still with comfort (it now has suspension in the head tube) and is getting great reviews, I would love one myself. Disc brakes seem to be the future on road bikes so wheel choice won't be an issue soon. 

kitsunegari | 7 years ago
0 likes

For a 9 mile commute I'd use a decent commuter with a rack.

perky416 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Off the shelf disc wheels are here and more coming in their droves.. you'll have just as many options to upgrade with disc brakes. Rim brake bikes are still lighter though as disc brakes are a bit heavier. However there's no real big reason for you to go one over the other.

I was considering upgrading the wheels on my hybrid a couple of months back however the range compared rim brakes annoyed me a little lol. Lightness is also the other factor I forgot to mention. I know it will hardley make any difference when riding but its always nice to have lighter than heavier  1

Quote:

You're spending plenty of money, you should expect a good test ride and advice on fitting, if the shop you're dealing with isn't offering that then walk!

How set are you on that bike- there are plenty of god buys around in that price range?

Im not hell bont on this bike, ad you say im spending a fair amount so how i feel about the look of the bike is important. Im after a fairly plain bike with minimal white or grey detail that at the same time looks good. Im not into flashy colours and like to keep low key. That is what initially attracted me to the tarmal SL4 elite.

Another thing to consider...when staying at my partners it is a 9 mile commute to work wearing a 30L backpack. Will this cause significant discomfort on a tarmac geometry bike due to being lower and more stretched out?

allanj replied to perky416 | 7 years ago
0 likes

perky416 wrote:

Another thing to consider...when staying at my partners it is a 9 mile commute to work wearing a 30L backpack. Will this cause significant discomfort on a tarmac geometry bike due to being lower and more stretched out?

[/quote]

Sounds like your hybrid would be ideal for that!  Wearing a back pack on a bike like a Tarmac is perfectly doable, just not a lot of fun. 

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you want a fast bike to go hard on then get one- if you have a hybrid for more casual use/winter riding then you might as well get something more racey, rather than getting a second more comfort oriented bike.  

You're spending plenty of money, you should expect a good test ride and advice on fitting, if the shop you're dealing with isn't offering that then walk!

How set are you on that bike- there are plenty of god buys around in that price range?

perky416 | 7 years ago
1 like

I did consider the Roubaix however on the Specialized website they all have disc brakes as does my hybrid. I wanted to move to rim brakes as there are more wheel upgrades avaliable should I wish to do so in the future.

I do tend to give it some when im out, i usually spend pretty much 90% of my ride in heart rate zones 4 & 5 trying to break my previous time, im just a little worried about being so low and stretched as I sometimes get neck ache (starting to become less and less) and rides like this morning's...was around a minute ahead of my previous time however as soon as I hit the wind a little over half way I just died to the point I knew I wasnt going to beat my previous so I decided to sit upright and enjoy a nice little pedal back.

If I was to purchase the tarmac and found it was too low, is it easy enough to add spaces to raise the bars a bit?

peted76 replied to perky416 | 7 years ago
0 likes

perky416 wrote:

I did consider the Roubaix however on the Specialized website they all have disc brakes as does my hybrid. I wanted to move to rim brakes as there are more wheel upgrades avaliable should I wish to do so in the future.

If I was to purchase the tarmac and found it was too low, is it easy enough to add spaces to raise the bars a bit?

Off the shelf disc wheels are here and more coming in their droves.. you'll have just as many options to upgrade with disc brakes. Rim brake bikes are still lighter though as disc brakes are a bit heavier. However there's no real big reason for you to go one over the other.

You can add spacers as far as the fork steerer tube will allow, BUT your bike will look a bit goofy with a big stack of spacers under the bars, just search for a picture of Alan Sugars Pinerallo F8 for a race bike with a comfortable position.

RE: neck pain.. above comments apply, you can condition yourself to it, and you'll get used to the positions. Also shoulder aches, hand pains, wronst pain, arse pain, chaffing in your nether regions, knee pains, swollen feet, welcome to my world... 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bought an endurance bike for my first road bike and sort of love it / sort of know I'd be more suited to an aero bike or road bike with a really low headtube.

I did my flexibility work and long hours on the bike since getting it. Slammed the stem after 2 weeks. There was some back pain, some hard days. Now I can go over 100 miles on it without any bother. Keep buying longer stems to get more stretched out. Was even on -17 for a while (looked a bit goofy though so changed it back.. for now). Took about 3/4 months of riding to get where I am now in terms of being comfortable in position and needing/wanting to get lower. That's not long in cycling terms.

How low you can go on the bike will depend on how much work you put in. There's a few older boys I see around my route gunning it like a teen. Clearly they do flexibility work, cos your body does stiffen up as you age. I'm in my 30s and notice it.

See the above comment about buying a Roubaix? That was the sort of comment that led me to my Infinito CV. Class bike, outstanding even. Has given me incredible confidence. But it was long until I remembered how competitive I am and will suffer for speed. If I could lose a few cm from that headtube I'd do it in a flash.

Spend my evenings eyeing up S5's now laugh

In the end - you know who you are and what effort you put into things and what sacrifices you can make. Most people are average, will only put in average effort. If you're a bit more hardcore, then get a bike that's a bit more hardcore, like the Tarmac. If not, then go sensible and get an endurance model. A Roubaix, Endurace, Infinito CV, C3 etc will all feel fast compared to your hybrid. 

All those bikes have won stages in Tours or Classics (well except the C3, and Endurace) so don't think they'll hold you back.

But it's more complicated than that. You don't want to left wishing or wondering.

Anyway.. a slammed endurance bike gives you as low a position as a race bike with a stack of spacers on the top..

peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes

That Tarmac is a lovely bike. It's a pure race bike, so that means 1) it'll force you into a longer lower position 2) you'll feel road bumps a lot more than your current hybrid - that may not sound like an issue if you've not experienced it before but over 20miles that extra bumping and jostling about will knacker you out.

Have you considered the Rouxbaix? It's still a road bike with a great pedigree, but you'll be in a 'slightly' less extreme position and they are designed to be more compliant to the bumps.. you'll also be able to get bigger tyres on it if you wanted. An endurance road bike. 

However, note both types of bikes (road/endurance) can be set up to be a bit less race or a bit more race orientated if you wished. 

Depends on the type of riding you do. Both will be a major upgrade from your hybrid. I should also say that you should try both out on a test ride.

Latest Comments