Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The LBS.

Basically a post on the good old reputable local bike shop. As everyone is aware, the internet is the death of the LBS, like many other things.

That being said you still cant beat a good old local shop. We cyclists' like to get around a bit, so i thought it could be good for people to reccomend their favourite local shops and a bit about why they like them. 

I know I for one would use this as a handy reference when I'm at the other side of the country, its raining and ive managed to pinch flat my spare tubes. 

So whats your favourite LBS? 

Where is it? 

And Why? (extra points if the why is because thier coffee is unrivalled)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Jon L | 7 years ago
0 likes

Having read this post, I thought, "why not create a website?", so I did.  

www.localbikeshop.co.uk

The theory being that anyone can add their favourite shops and other cyclists can leave comments and reviews.  

It's still early days, but I'd be interested in any feedback. 

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hooked on cycling, Bathgate. Nick, a real enthusiast, takes time to get to know what you need, rather than making assumptions with setup etc. He will end up your friend, and not a salesman trying to maximise his revenue. His main brands are Cube and Scott, but he will do bike fits for anything, and custom builds with components of your choice.

He also rides a lot of bikes. Whilst this might sound an obvious qualification, I have found most LBS struggle to compare their own brands with the competition! Nick at LBS was able to give a first hand comparison between the 3 bikes I was considering, only one of which he supplies.

DeeJayJay | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Cyclery, Westerham, Kent. Super location if your spending a day on the south downs with Toys Hill, Ide Hill etc. Friendly, knowledgeable staff and it has a cafe with fantastic coffee and cake! What more could you ask for? Specialized, including S-Works, and Bianchi dealer. 

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Anyone know a decent one close to the Essex side of London?  Seems like south-west London has all the good ones!

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Billy Bilsland cycles in Glasgow 

Not much to look at from the outside but good range and fantastic service, going the extra mile and looking after their customers.   Legendary chat from Neil Bilsland- a whirlwhind in retail

Highly recommended

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

My local is Thatto Cycles in St Helens (aka 'Bikes you like'). I bought my Giant there and the service was great with a few freebies thrown in and it was perfectly set up when they let it leave the shop.

They've also helped by removing a welded in bottom bracket on an old bike I bought to do the Eroica on and only charged a tenner with the old bits neatly zip tied to the frame in a plastic bag when I collected it.

They have a huge stock of bikes and a very efficient, capable workshop - 5 out of 5!

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's not just LBS.... get a decent local Pro Bike Mechanic, plenty out there and they will spend time with you if they are available..and flog you spares if they have them...  Shop/Bike/Work Local.... many times it's cheaper than the Internet and often they are "open" when everyone else is shut.... message them, phone them or email them....you will be surprised

multimodal | 7 years ago
1 like

Great topic idea!

My favourite LBS is Cycle Link in Thames Ditton (do pop in there if you're heading out from London through to the Surrey Hills).

It's brilliant because they're good and they care. If you call after they're shut (if they're still working) and you desperately need an inner-tube, they'll sell you one. They chat about the riding you do. They give you little tips for doing jobs on your own. They don't sell bikes, but when I was buying a new bike they gave me loads of advice and insisted I popped in to show them it when I got it because they'd  'love to see it' (and we're full of "ooohs" and "aaahs" when I did). Finally, everything that's gone in broken has come back fixed (which isn't the case everywhere).

Latest Comments