Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano WH 6800 Rear wheel creaking

Hi, advice please, I have Shimano 6800 wheelset, about 4-5 months old, and the rear wheel has started to creak when under load, at first I thought it was my BB30 bottom bracket and got that checked and re-greased, still the noise appeared, I put my old RS11 rear wheel back on and the noise has gone, there dosen't seem to be any play in the bearings and they run smoothly any suggestions? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

kungdog | 7 years ago
0 likes

My bike developed a creak under load a while back, after checking everything, turned out to be the cassette.

Chalky71 replied to kungdog | 7 years ago
1 like

kungdog wrote:

My bike developed a creak under load a while back, after checking everything, turned out to be the cassette.

What did you do to solve it, thanks 

pablo | 7 years ago
1 like

Had a similar problem on my RS81 shimano front wheel. All the spokes were under even tension so dropped a spot of lube on each spoke nipple and also the oiled the skewer.  I think it was probably actually the skewer it had been off the bike and I'd had no issues the day before.  

kev-s | 7 years ago
1 like

More than likely its just the spokes needing to be re-tensioned

grab a couple of spokes where they cross over and give a squeeze

If theres quite a bit of movement then the spokes needs tensioning

A good local bike shop should be able to do this for no more than £20

Latest Comments