Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Genesis Croix de Fer 20 2016

Looking for as close to a single do-it-all bike that will mainly be used for commuting. I stumbled across the Genesis Croix deFer 20 2016 that is selling for new at £800. Is this a good price for a Tiagra bike and what are your opinions about the bike at that price?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

GiantOuchMyShin | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm deliberating over a Croix de Fer or an Equilibrium at the moment (from the new 2017 range).

I am looking for something that I would use mostly for commuting, but I would also (on rare occasions) load it up a little for some light touring. Given the need for greater strength and the ability to handle some extra weight, I think I am edging towards the Croix de Fer.

But if I didn't want to be able to carry some weight, then I would probably opt for the Equilibrium. That would seem to go along with Howard's experience above.

However, if you've found a good deal on a 2016 Croix de Fer, then I can't see that you would go far wrong with it. They seem like great bikes.

Dnnnnnn replied to GiantOuchMyShin | 7 years ago
0 likes

GiantOuchMyShin wrote:

I'm deliberating over a Croix de Fer or an Equilibrium at the moment (from the new 2017 range).

I am looking for something that I would use mostly for commuting, but I would also (on rare occasions) load it up a little for some light touring. Given the need for greater strength and the ability to handle some extra weight, I think I am edging towards the Croix de Fer.

But if I didn't want to be able to carry some weight, then I would probably opt for the Equilibrium. That would seem to go along with Howard's experience above.

However, if you've found a good deal on a 2016 Croix de Fer, then I can't see that you would go far wrong with it. They seem like great bikes.

I suppose it depends how light... For some on-road touring I think the Equilibrium. I haven't tried it with mine but at 92kg, I'm probably heavier than many riders and their light touring luggage!

HowardR | 7 years ago
1 like

I’ve a 2014 Equilibrium 20 & a 2015 Croix de Fer 20.  I’d heartily recommend both of them

I’ve had the Equlibrium since late 2013 & the Croix since the early months of this year.  I think that the latest Equilibriums have grown bit longer in the chain stays & head tubes & hence they ride may possibly have changed a bit…. That said…. This is my experience of them

The Equilibrium was bought as a ‘winter bike’ but is increasingly becoming my preferred machine. I keep on finding excuses as to why I should take it out instead of its carbon sister, whether for a lunch time blast or a century. The preference isn’t a matter of fit as the carbon bike & Equilibrium have almost identical set ups & I’m fairly sure it’s not because the carbon machine has a crap ride – it’s that there’s something ‘extra right’ with the Equilibrium, particularly when it’s shod with the carbon bikes Dura Ace C24’s.

To swing dangerously close to embarrassingly sexist Swiss Tony territory  [please feel free to mock and abuse me for doing so] …. The carbon bike is the glamorous super model girlfriend who will get you to spend all your money & then dump you exhausted by the roadside. The Equilibrium is the giggly girlfriend who’s up for almost anything and whose company is always fun.

What the Equilibrium won’t do is play off road & lug camping levels of touring gear – and that’s where the Croix do Fer comes in… . In the time that I’ve had it I’ve taken it for a week’s long camping trip with stages of up to 100 miles with off road stretches included (Ridgeway e.t.c) and regularly use it for on road/off road sessions and it’s taken it all in its stride. It could I supose be likened to the rugy playing mate

It’s ‘spot on’ perfect for what I currently use it for but if my use of the Croix becomes more road focused (as it probably will be duing the depths of winter) the wheels & tyres might well be swapped for something lighter and maybe at some point replace the fork for a carbon one – but neither of these mods could be counted as essential.

If I were using them for commuting I’d want the Equilibrium for sunny days or wet days when I wanted to pretend that I was making a heroic lone break in a Spring Classic & the Croix for those days when the pot holes need rolling through rather than bunny hopping over,  it’s manky, wet & dark or you fancy putting a grin on your face by taking an off road detour.

Adrian_GJ | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had the 2015 CdF they are really nice bikes but a bit on havey. The one that i will really suggest as a do it all is the Genesis Equilibrium Disc - this one is much lighter and has a Carbon fork. This is my do it all and since I got it I hardly ride my carbon...

Tiagra is a decent group sent, but if you can afford try and get an 105. I did get the 2016 Equilibrium Disc frame and build it myself...

Latest Comments