Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy vs Canyon Endurace

hi,

need a bit of help deciding between:

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 (2016) - dura ace mech - disc - £2799

Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 (2017) - Ultegra di2 - non disc  - £2649

defy is reduced in price. What do people think? Defy looks really nice , but I'm told that di2 is the way to go...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ryansharpnz | 7 years ago
0 likes

thanks for the help guys - i've found a giant defy advanced pro 1 (2016) - this has the ultegra di2, and is the same price as the canyon. I don't need Dura-Ace groupset - not going to be racing. I'm going to test ride the Defy. I'm leaning towards cancelling the Endurace order, and picking up the Defy Advanced Pro 1 - agree with comments about customer service. I figure disc and di2 will cover me for a few years, as more and more road bikes all introduce disc's in the coming years. Once UCI approve it for the pro tour, i think that will open the floodgates.

In terms of the defy top tube angle - this looks less race orientated than the endurace. Does this mean the Endurace is closer to the Ultimate than the Defy is to the TCR?

BeatPoet replied to ryansharpnz | 7 years ago
1 like

ryansharpnz wrote:

thanks for the help guys - i've found a giant defy advanced pro 1 (2016) - this has the ultegra di2, and is the same price as the canyon. I don't need Dura-Ace groupset - not going to be racing. I'm going to test ride the Defy. I'm leaning towards cancelling the Endurace order, and picking up the Defy Advanced Pro 1 - agree with comments about customer service. I figure disc and di2 will cover me for a few years, as more and more road bikes all introduce disc's in the coming years. Once UCI approve it for the pro tour, i think that will open the floodgates.

In terms of the defy top tube angle - this looks less race orientated than the endurace. Does this mean the Endurace is closer to the Ultimate than the Defy is to the TCR?

The Giant is better looking and sounds exactly what you're looking for. It's an easy choice. Either of them will ride brilliantly.

700c | 7 years ago
0 likes

Giant and Canyon are both quality brands. I have a Giant and love it. I'm a disc and DI2 sceptic but do see there's some argument for the systems on 'endurance' bikes designed to be ridden far and fast. But I dislike complexity so don't run either!

The biggest difference between the two comes down to company business model: Supply, customer service, ease of dealing with warranty etc. Do you really want to risk the Canyon?!

hughw | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's worth giving Rose a look if you're happy with the direct from germany model.

I bought one of these a few months ago: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-3100-di2-disc/aid:820865 , with discs and di2, so it ticks both those boxes. I was lucky to get one for a bit less because of the exchange rate, but it's sat at £2,750 ish atm, which is less than the giant you're looking at

Griff500 replied to hughw | 7 years ago
1 like
hughw wrote:

It's worth giving Rose a look if you're happy with the direct from germany model.

I bought one of these a few months ago: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-3100-di2-disc/aid:820865 , with discs and di2, so it ticks both those boxes. I was lucky to get one for a bit less because of the exchange rate, but it's sat at £2,750 ish atm, which is less than the giant you're looking at

I was over in the Alps last week, and it was quite refreshing to see how open minded the Europeans are when it comes to buying bikes. Around 30 bikes parked at the top of Colombiere, and no more than a couple of any make. Very different to the flock mentality in the UK.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dates for the Endurace are Oct/Nov timeframe....I got an Aeroad CF SLX 6.0 a few months back (during the last week of the TdF - from stock during ther sale) and it only took 6 days from date of ordering to get delivered.
...but based on previous supply issues (well documented) I'd be skeptical on you physically getting the Canyon within that fairly loose timeframe.
I also have a Defy Advance 2-E since January...I know it's a little bit down the pecking order from the model you're considering ( full 105 and TRP Spyres mech discs) its a good all rounder and may be more suited to the upcoming winter months
...at least you are more likely to be able to test the Giant for size/fit and will know if its suitable for you and the type of riding you do. The Defy is a more comfortable frame than the Aeroad for longer distances...not to say that it will be better/worse than the Endurace as I haven't tried the Endurace.
...but the Aeroad is not an uncomfortable bike - 4 hour rides are the longest I've ridden it so far (~100km)...but it does weigh 1.5kg less than my Defy so is a fair bit easier to get up to and maintain a decent speed and is quite a decent climber too despite the Cosmic Pro wheels...not had too many blustery days and not experienced too many sidewinds blowing me off course. I guess it comes down to whether you can wait if the Canyon is your preferred choice...and whether you want top tier mechanical groupset and discs vs the DI2 leccy setup.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Do you want a bike with disc brakes? If so then buy the Giant. From online discussions I've not seen any people who've opted for disc wanting to revert to rim brakes. And with the Giant you will be sure to get your bike before Christmas  3

But is electronic shifting more important to you than the brakes? Doesn't sound that way but, if it is, and you don't mind waiting (and waiting), then go for the Canyon.

Latest Comments