Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Belt drive hub gear commuter bike advice

Hello everyone. I'm soon going to be moving from the smooth, gold-plated streets of London to the cobbled, pot-holed tracks of Edinburgh and, after riding a road bike there at the weekend, I have realised I might need a commuter specific bike to deal with the surface. I was considering a single speed but there are a few hills and my cycling style tends to be high be cadence rather than churning out a big gear so I've decided that gears are a necessity. I'm also considering belt drive rather than a chain to minimise maintenance. I've had a look around on the internet but can't seem to find anything that would be all that suitable and was therefore wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations? Ideally I'm looking to keep it under £600 given its intended use. Mud guard and pannier bosses would also be highly desirable. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

horizontal dropout | 7 years ago
0 likes

It makes sense to check out Edinburgh Bike Co-op, they like intelligent commuter bikes. In addition to the SC4 that Dr_Lex mentioned there's also an SC2 a bit cheaper:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/marin-fairfax-sc2-ig-16

On sale till tomorrow Sunday so you might not see this in time - still worth asking if they will do it for reduced price though.

gmac101 | 7 years ago
1 like

I have a pompetamine alfine with an 8 speed hub and chain drive and the chain needs a lot less cleaning than my conventionally geared bike. I think the hub gear keeps the chain further from the road and I end up cleaning it once every 2-3 weeks rather than every week.  The hub gear is four years old and has been maintained once and the rear cog and front chainwheel have been replaced once in 4 years. Once you work out the shimano instructions (watching a you tube video or two helps) it's easy to keep the gear changing in tune and I've only had to do it after the cable was replaced.  

Alessandro | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both.

Daniel, I've lusted over the Shand for a while but, as you say, it's quite an expensive beast to throw around the cobbles and glass.

Dr_Lex, I think you're just confirming what I had begun to realise - that achieving all 3 goals of relatively cheap, hub gear and belt drive probably isn't going to happen. Given that I'll probably have to ditch one of those goals, I think it's likely to be the belt drive.

RR | 7 years ago
1 like

Belt drive will be over that budget.  A chain on a hub geared bike will last longer than a chain on a derailleur, but is not as clean as belt drive.

I spotted the Charge Grater 3 yesterday, which is a hub gear, disc brake hybrid with 32mm tyres and mudguards.  Retail price is £800, but the 2016 model appears to be going for about £640 if you shop around (Tredz, Triton Cycles and Westbrook Cycles).  

If you are locking the bike up in a public place for long periods or overnight, then a used bike may be worth considering if you can find a good place to buy from.  Quick release wheels also need securing.

mike the bike replied to RR | 7 years ago
1 like

boRed wrote:

Belt drive will be over that budget.  A chain on a hub geared bike will last longer than a chain on a derailleur, but is not as clean as belt drive.......

True, but you can keep it very nearly as clean by using a wax lube rather than nasty, oil-based stuff.  Try Squirt or Pedro's, both come highly recommended.  You will have to apply it more often but the chain will never need deep cleaning so you gain time in the end.

Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
1 like

How tall? EBC have a discounted flat bar Marin that ticks your boxes if you're short - http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/marin-fairfax-sc4-belt-16

Otherwise, you may struggle on that budget, as the hub gear is quite an expensive component, and belt drives are not that common. 

DanielCoffey | 7 years ago
1 like

There are quite a few SS and Fixie riders in town on road bikes but I agree, some decent width tyres would be beneficial. I would suggest looking at a size wider than 28's, perhaps 32 or 35.

You can go fairly smooth if you are staying on the roads but puncture resistance is a must over speed. There will be a ton of glass bits near the kerbs, especially outside the clubs. I used to ride from Meadowbank to the Farmer's Market via the Cowgate every Saturday and that was hard on the rubber.

I know it is not in your budget but I had a Surly CrossCheck with an Alfine 8 rear hub with chain. Finding a drive belt compatible frame in that budget might be an issue and the cost of getting one adapted will push up the price. You need a split rear triangle of course. Have a look at the Soma Wolverine and start from there.

One alternative is to stay with a chain and budget for the maintenance. Unless you are piling on the miles, it should last a good while and spares are easily available. A good dry lube and regular pre-emptive cleaning should be fine.

You may also want to budget for a handlebar or helmet cam as the city roads are narrow, busy and likely to give rise to entertaining footage.

If you win the lottery (or can steal rich uncle Sidney's credit card), then a Shand Stoater Rohloff would be a bike to aspire to. Made locally, custom steel frame to fit you and designed around the drive belt. The downside is that after the panniers, lights, dynamo (and of course the Rohloff), there is not much change from four grand.

Latest Comments