Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alfine

Has anyone tried to retro-fit an Alfine hub to their singlespeed bike? What prat falls have you found?

I'm seriously looking at the poss of fitting one to my S/S commuter.. Having looked on CRC and generally Googled there only appears to be the 8spd hub available atm, and with the fitting kit, shifter, disc, etc, it looks to be costing upwards of £200 ( plus wheel re-build ). Is this likely to drop when the 11spd is released?  26

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

DaveP | 13 years ago
0 likes

Blue/Yellow washers for vertical dropouts are what I need... my Globe 1 has sliding dropouts  1

Sounding better and better!

DaveP | 13 years ago
0 likes

Great! Found a place in Germany that do the Shimano WH-S501-V-8D rear 26" wheel incl hub, fitting kit, sprocket, shifter and cable etc as a complete kit ( would just need a 160 centre-lock disc... ). Most UK dealers don't have the fitting kit or a range of sprockets, etc etc

Looks like a done deal.  1

vorsprung replied to DaveP | 13 years ago
0 likes
DaveP wrote:

Great! Found a place in Germany that do the Shimano WH-S501-V-8D rear 26" wheel incl hub, fitting kit, sprocket, shifter and cable etc as a complete kit ( would just need a 160 centre-lock disc... ). Most UK dealers don't have the fitting kit or a range of sprockets, etc etc

Looks like a done deal.  1

You need the correct non turn washers to fit it
Most fixed gear bikes have horizontal rear facing track ends which take the yellow/brown

The kit I got from rose.de had blue/yellow washers for vertical dropouts. I think they assume you already have a chain tensioner in this case.

I couldn't find anywhere UK that did the fitting kit but since then planet-x/on one are marketing an alfine version of the pompino

greennoodle | 13 years ago
0 likes

Can confirm you don't need s cable stop. I've put one on a Genesis Day One with just zip ties and had no problems.

DaveP | 13 years ago
0 likes

Perfect!  16

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

unless i'm mistaken, the Alfine hub has its own cable stop so you can just run a single cable front to back and ziptie it on

DaveP | 13 years ago
0 likes

What about cable routing/stops..? Anything special?

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

the 11spd is proving rather popular, so there probably won't be any after-market units available this year. When they do drop i doubt it'll affect the price of 8spd that much anyway.

I haven't tried retrofitting one but you have hz dropouts presumably on your s/s so it should slot in okay

Latest Comments