Alfine

by DaveP   July 16, 2010  

Has anyone tried to retro-fit an Alfine hub to their singlespeed bike? What prat falls have you found?

I'm seriously looking at the poss of fitting one to my S/S commuter.. Having looked on CRC and generally Googled there only appears to be the 8spd hub available atm, and with the fitting kit, shifter, disc, etc, it looks to be costing upwards of £200 ( plus wheel re-build ). Is this likely to drop when the 11spd is released? Nerd

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

the 11spd is proving rather popular, so there probably won't be any after-market units available this year. When they do drop i doubt it'll affect the price of 8spd that much anyway.

I haven't tried retrofitting one but you have hz dropouts presumably on your s/s so it should slot in okay

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7506 posts]
16th July 2010 - 12:33

0 Likes

What about cable routing/stops..? Anything special?

DaveP's picture

posted by DaveP [467 posts]
16th July 2010 - 13:31

0 Likes

unless i'm mistaken, the Alfine hub has its own cable stop so you can just run a single cable front to back and ziptie it on

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7506 posts]
16th July 2010 - 14:10

0 Likes

Perfect! Cool

DaveP's picture

16th July 2010 - 16:09

0 Likes

Can confirm you don't need s cable stop. I've put one on a Genesis Day One with just zip ties and had no problems.

posted by greennoodle [7 posts]
18th July 2010 - 6:46

0 Likes

Great! Found a place in Germany that do the Shimano WH-S501-V-8D rear 26" wheel incl hub, fitting kit, sprocket, shifter and cable etc as a complete kit ( would just need a 160 centre-lock disc... ). Most UK dealers don't have the fitting kit or a range of sprockets, etc etc

Looks like a done deal. Smile

DaveP's picture

18th July 2010 - 19:15

0 Likes

DaveP wrote:
Great! Found a place in Germany that do the Shimano WH-S501-V-8D rear 26" wheel incl hub, fitting kit, sprocket, shifter and cable etc as a complete kit ( would just need a 160 centre-lock disc... ). Most UK dealers don't have the fitting kit or a range of sprockets, etc etc

Looks like a done deal. Smile

You need the correct non turn washers to fit it
Most fixed gear bikes have horizontal rear facing track ends which take the yellow/brown

The kit I got from rose.de had blue/yellow washers for vertical dropouts. I think they assume you already have a chain tensioner in this case.

I couldn't find anywhere UK that did the fitting kit but since then planet-x/on one are marketing an alfine version of the pompino

vorsprung's picture

posted by vorsprung [295 posts]
19th July 2010 - 13:39

0 Likes

Blue/Yellow washers for vertical dropouts are what I need... my Globe 1 has sliding dropouts Smile

Sounding better and better!

DaveP's picture

20th July 2010 - 6:38

0 Likes