Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Asguard Bike Shed

Hello all, I'm about to buy an Asgard bike shed but have a slight concern about the base upon which it will sit. The Asgard website recommends a concrete base, but sadly my house is surrounded by a small stone/pebble driveway. I have another shed with a level wooden slab base which it sits on very well and the plan was to do the same for the Asgard (that's until I read the website)

Does anyone have an Asgard bike shed mounted on anything other than a concrete floor?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, I'm not going to be bolting it to the floor so will probably try and get a flat surface using the aforementioned wooden slabs, part of which will actually sit on some paving stones which I didn't realise actually exist under the pebbles!

The model I'm ordering definitely has a floor, it would be completely unsuitable if this wasn't the case.

Thanks again for all of your input  1

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had some problems with my Asgard.

I bought a shed with space for two bikes. These don't come with a built in metal floor. The floor of the shed is basically what you bolt it down on top of (patio, concrete, etc). I'd recommend you get one with a built in metal floor. The problem with bare floors is that they can let in dampness, especially patio paving slabs. You have to make sure the slabs have a special damp proof membrane underneath, then lots of sand with the paving on top if you're to have a chance. 

If you don't do this then the condensation will collect on the underside of the roof (literally pints of the stuff) and rain down onto your bikes from Novemeber to March. The metal parts on your bike will also produce condensation. The upshot of all this is that your bike will rust like hell after a few winter months; cassettes , chains, and bolts especially.

What happens is that the patio floor will always be slightly warmer than the metal shed and bike parts. When the cold air of the shed meets the warm damp air rising up from the floor you get condensation.

Another thing to be careful about is where you place it with regards to sunlight. The heat that builds up in these metal boxes is unbelievable, a sunny warmish 20c day could well be 35c+ in the shed. You can feel the heat as soon as you open the door. It acts just like a car on a sunny day.

If you only have road bikes you'll be fine. If you have mountain bikes (or any other bikes) with hydraulic brakes you'll go through brake calipers like they're going out of fashion. The heat of the shed causes the brake hose and/or pistons to expand, the fluid leaks out and your calipers are trashed. The pads go first but the leak in the calipers can't be fixed. 

I'd still recommend one, they're built like a tank. The only way in is with an oxy acetylen torch; not gonna happen.

So if I were you I'd buy one with a built in metal floor and place it somewhere in plenty of shade.  

bobbinogs | 7 years ago
0 likes

I agree with the above in that the Asgards are great and that the key point is a sound base that is even.  I don't anchor mine down but it normally has 4 bikes in it and I cannot foresee anyone lifting the whole thing out of my back garden.  However, if you have a £xxxx bike then the insurance policy may insist on something like a floor anchor so I would check if that is important to you.

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mines on half patio slabs and half wooden decking - as long as it's flat (mine came with various inserts to level out small anomalies) and will support the weight you should be fine.  It weighs a ton, especially with bikes + accessories in it, plus mines in a back garden and isn't going anywhere without either being dismantled (i.e. unlocked and emptied) or knocking down various neighbours' fences.  Basically, bolting it down is probably over the top unless you've a number of expensive bikes and are storing it somewhere accessible to the public easily.

It's a great bit of kit, I'm planning on getting a second one so I've somewhere to store bikes for my wife/kids.

bertisfantastic | 7 years ago
0 likes

i have a 4 bike asguard. its on slabs so not completely helpful. 

it does neet to be reasonably flat as  otherwise the locking rings can be a bit awkward to line up. if you arent planning to bolt it to the floor then as long as you make a flat base it should be fine. mine weighs 18stone and is in a back garden so havent bothered bolting it to the floor as it would need a crane to get it out. and thats before ive filled it with bikes. its bloody good though.

bert

Latest Comments