Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road rage

Hello fellow cyclists,

I have received received today my first road rage attack. Cycling on left hand side on a road with 3 lanes, a car passes so close to me that I even had to slightly swirl the front wheel left... My reaction was to shout "Oi" to create awareness as I got take by surprise at a medium-high skews unnecessarily. Maybe he didn't noticed, maybe he was on his phone...  I don't know. He stopped the car in front of me so I had to go onto the pavement... Opened his left window so out of politeness o stopped next to him just to say that it was a close call... But this was no gentleman, no no, not with the the amount of swearing, road taxes, get out of the f road etc.. No point in reasoning so I simply said "Have a good day" and took of which has infuriated him. I just continued ignoring and cycling my way while the banter continued next to me.

I wasn't upset or anything and refused to try to reason because I knew he was looking for a reason to get into a fight. Sad I didnt record this

What do you do in such a situation? Is this worth reporting to the authorities verbal abuse?

Thank you,

Mendes

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

vonhelmet | 7 years ago
0 likes

D lock. Totally legit to have one attached to your frame. Totally heavy and swingable.

Shades | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sadly, everyone has a story similar to this; you just have to 'suck it up' and try not to escalate the situation, although that can be difficult if you've just been surprised with a close pass.  Helmet camera footage and the police might get interested, or the protagonist backs down when he sees the camera.  Usually it's commuting time when the real a*seholes get in their cars.

GeorgeCurios | 7 years ago
0 likes

You did the right think man there's no point in trying to argue with an angry person

strangerous | 7 years ago
0 likes

Reporting it seems pointless. Hit-and-run drivers who kill cyclists get only £500 fine and 6 mos suspended driving privileges. The authorities and the court system in the UK seem to condone it - their attitude seems to be that the only good cyclist is a dead cyclist. And so in comparison, road rage against a cyclist would probably earn that motorist a pat on the back from the local sheriff.

Exchanging verbal abuse could escalate the situation, possibly resulting in a physical confrontation. If you're experienced in this sort of situation and able to handle yourself in a fight, that might be a good option. I have a telescoping baton attached to my frame with a bit of velcro. These are amazingly effective weapons, and a very practical "equalizer" in physical situations if you practice with it a bit. A sound thrashing might make him think twice before accosting a cyclist again, and if so, you would have done the community a big favor. On the other hand, if you left him conscious, he might come after you in his car, or the wanker may go home and kick his dog. So - some downsides to this option.

Ignoring his rant and continuing your ride does seem the best option, so long as the abuse and intimidation do not get out of hand. I concur in your regret that you were unable to record the entire episode, and get the plate number of the vehicle. People have a strong tendency to cool off when they know they're being recorded!

Road rage is just another risk we must bear for sharing the roadway with motorized vehicles. The only real solution for these risks is to segregate the motorized vehicles as they've done successfully in other countries. And since you asked for opinions, here's mine: Spend 2-3 hours communicating with your government representatives, and let them know that you think this is imperative.

jacknorell replied to strangerous | 7 years ago
3 likes

strangerous wrote:

I have a telescoping baton attached to my frame with a bit of velcro. These are amazingly effective weapons, and a very practical "equalizer" in physical situations if you practice with it a bit.

Yes, an extensible baton is certainly a good weapon. 

However, in the UK it's illegal for private persons to carry one (not 100% on situation re owning one) and you will get done for possession of an offensive weapon.

Very bad idea.

LarryDavidJr replied to jacknorell | 7 years ago
0 likes
jacknorell wrote:

strangerous wrote:

I have a telescoping baton attached to my frame with a bit of velcro. These are amazingly effective weapons, and a very practical "equalizer" in physical situations if you practice with it a bit.

However, in the UK it's illegal for private persons to carry one (not 100% on situation re owning one) and you will get done for possession of an offensive weapon.

Very bad idea.

Telescoping wheel wrench with bottom bracket tool. Problem solved.

wycombewheeler replied to LarryDavidJr | 7 years ago
0 likes
LarryDavidJr wrote:
jacknorell wrote:

strangerous wrote:

Very bad idea.

Telescoping wheel wrench with bottom bracket tool. Problem solved.

Not really it can also be an offence to carry any tool or sports equipment with the sole intention of using it is a weapon. Can you justify why you are carrying a bb tool at all times?

I recall being told by he police this even covers carrying your keys in your hand 'just in case'

BudgieBike | 7 years ago
5 likes

Few days ago had my first near miss as car pulled out. A whhhooooaaaa shouted. 50 yards later at lights guy gets out of car.  I waited for rant but got humble apologies and red face as guy said should know better as rides himself. 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
3 likes

Remember the licence plate number and if you ever see the car parked again, pry open the fuel cap and fill with sugar.

Kidding.

Or am I.

angel

Don't take it personally, you could be 6ft 4, built like a tank, could be famous, or ultra-rich and powerful, none of it would matter. What happens is a douche in a highly protective pram feels invincible, sees something vulnerable on their way to doing something douchey, and starts shouting random shite out their window.

It's what douche does. (vid features Gollum and a spot of karama for kicks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3brXusROQ 

multimodal | 7 years ago
3 likes

You took the sensible option. 9/10 I do the same. Most people who do this are angry at something and venting. No point getting dragged in. If it's just a bit of swearing and no serious attempt to injure, I say irgnore them.

Others will say you should report every incident, perhaps they are right. I'd let it slide unless he tried cutting you up while moving again. Then I'd report.

Only once have I ever got into a serious "row" with a motorist, and although I "won" it, I regretted taking the bait.

Latest Comments