Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Contacts Lenses

A strange problem, I wear contact lenses when riding but when ever I go faster than 50km/h no matter what glasses I wear I find the wind blows them out...

Anyone else have this problem and know of a pair of shades that can help (apart from getting perscription cycling glasses)?

It's slightly inconvenient going blind in the middle of a decent.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

charliepalooza | 7 years ago
0 likes

Are you sure you aren't keeping your eyes wide open and not blinking during the descent?

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

OP, I had exactly the same problem. I tried several brands of lens, various moistening drops and different shaped glasses, all to no avail. Any decent descent would see the lens at least peeling away and requiring much blinking to reseat.

In the end, I got prescription cycling eyewear (Oakley Racing Jackets with transitions lenses). Apart from maybe my first decent pair of shorts, nothing has made a greater difference to my comfort on the bike, although they do look a bit weird in the cafe!

Swami Dave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Stupid question: are you blinking enough? I wear toric lenses and have noticed on fast descents that they can become dislodged, mainly because I don't blink enough from constantly scanning the road. Bigger glasses help; I'm using Radarlock XL's and it hardly happens now.

levermonkey | 7 years ago
0 likes

I a long term user of contact lenses you have got me puzzled mainly because of the lack of detail in the OP but also because I have never experienced this problem.

1. Are they being actualy being blown out or washed out through your eyes watering?
  2. Are you using Hard or Soft lenses? If you are using hard lenses then there is a possiblity that they are being washed out. If you are using soft lenses then I have to go along with HughW and advise you to get a fitting check. Don't be afraid to go to a rival optician.
  3. Is this a singular occurance? If it was there is a possibility that the lens was inside out.

If a fitting check doesn't solve your problem have a look at "foam seal" safety glasses. Have a look at these from ARCO (Other safety stores are available.)

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/3G2800?s=1

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/3G3400?s=1

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/3SS020?s=1

Hope this is of use, best of luck and do let us know how you are getting on.

antigee | 7 years ago
0 likes

as said above in olden days when less choice/thicker lens had it happen  - there are a few over the counter eye drops that help keep your eyes moist - part of my problem was low tear rate meant dry eyes

hughw | 7 years ago
2 likes

not a problem I've ever encountered either.

Might be worth a visit to your opticians to see about the lens fit - I'm pretty sure they shouldn't blow out of your eyes

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use Bolle Bandido goggles. They aren't sunglasses but will block the wind as they fit to the face really well.  I use clear ones all year but smoke ones are available if you like looking like Bono's Fly. I wear gas permeable lenses, but have never had one blown out. The goggles prevent getting dust in the eyes too. Cheap and disposable if they get a scratch, check ebay or amazon, or that internet.

Latest Comments