Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Home security cameras.

Need some advice on home security cameras.

Horse has bolted so it's time to close the stable door. Basically over the course of this last weekend both a scooter and my son's bmx bike have been taken from outside the front of the house. I know who has them and will get them back, but should it happen again:

1. It would be great to have some conclusive footage of the miscreant.
2. The scrote involved is the type to exact some revenge on parked cars or otherwise cause some damage if he feels his rights to help himself to other peoples stuff are being disrespected.

My requirements are:

Storage to NAS via WiFi network
1080p
Night vision
Continuous looping recording to NAS or motion activation of recording.
Budget under £200
1 camera would be fine, 2 would be better. Ability to add more cameras depending on paranoia levels would be great.
Date / time stamping of images.

And, yes, I have had the discussion with my son about putting his shit away in the garage when he's done with it.

Thanks in advance.

M

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

GeorgeCurios | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dam we have to be carefull with those robbers 

elroy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bought a hybrid camera from protection plus security solution which has the option of using both an IP network camera and an analog camera as well. I connected it to a local network with a non routable IP address to ensure safety. Since you want a clear footage I would suggest getting a camera that uses CCD chips to record the footage. They come in very sizes from ¼” to ½” but the quality of the recorded video footage will be the same. Most cameras would have a night vision mode as well as a day mode so make sure that you place the camera in a well lit ambience during the daytime otherwise the footage may be recorded in black and white. Here is a blog that mentions some garage safety tips http://protectionplus.ca/blog/garage-security-8-tips-safeguarding-cars-tools/ .

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Shame you can't do it with booby traps, 'this home is booby trapped, go on, have a go, twunt'.

People actually do booby trap their homes though. Illegal if a burglar gets injured. Typical.

yerbs | 7 years ago
0 likes

One to keep in mind, a friend caught some scrotes on his CCTV about to break into his shed, they saw the camera and legged it, but when he gave the footage to the police, they made a point about having CCTV signs visibile, otherwise they can't use it in court.

My memory maybe a tad fuzzy, but might be worth looking into

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Check this out, it's footage of a cyclist in Glasgow having issues with being targeted. The problems with his cam footage might help you decide on camera angles and night vision quality when buying and setting up. 

http://www.magnatom.net/2016/05/sticks-and-stones.html

Wish I could help further but know nowt about this stuff, just hope the scrote finds a nice hole to land neck first down.

postmandick | 7 years ago
1 like

Sorry to hear that the scrotes are targeting you I brought my sony cctv cameras from

www.spycameracctv.com 

Bristol based and very prompt dont send the parcel out in Giant Logo's and the camera was easy to set up....

Wifi to my sever and nice clear image 

Police like a good image 

good luck 

Latest Comments