Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fitting New Stem Advice

Hi all, just fitted a new stem to my hybrid. Just wanted to check if the gap between the steerer  and top cap is acceptable? See pics below.

I've read there should be anything between 3-5mm between steerer and top of the stem  or spacer before fitting the top cap. The first pic is less than this, almost flush. 2nd and 3rd pics after removing a spacer from bottom of steerer and adding to top of steerer before replacing top cap leaves a 6mm gap.

Are these both acceptable gaps? 

//i64.tinypic.com/r1edci.jpg)

//i66.tinypic.com/2h8csiv.jpg)

//i66.tinypic.com/n68ivo.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Acm | 7 years ago
0 likes

I doubt there's enough of a gap in the first picture; bear in mind that the top cap will draw the steerer tube up a couple of mil when you preload the bearings. I always use a spacer above the stem (I feel it would be Steiner that way), although the arrangement of your spacers should really be determined by bike fit

waldner71 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your replies, after testing both positions I prefer the position as it is in pictures 2/3 so have gone with that.

Wasn't sure how tight to do the top cap, I've left it at approx 2nm using torque wrench, although I know it's down to feel, no play at that setting 

CXR94Di2 replied to waldner71 | 7 years ago
0 likes
waldner71 wrote:

Thanks for your replies, after testing both positions I prefer the position as it is in pictures 2/3 so have gone with that.

Wasn't sure how tight to do the top cap, I've left it at approx 2nm using torque wrench, although I know it's down to feel, no play at that setting 

There is no defined torque for top cap. Just enough to remove Slack and allow free movement of steering. If you get a slight knock from the handlebars, usually an 1/8 or less turn more sorts it out

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

Photo #1 is close. Ideally the steerer tube top should be 1-2mm below the stem. When tightening this prevents the top cap from bottoming out on the steerer tube.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

First picture should be fine depending in top cap shape or picture no3. You only need a few millimetres above the steeerer. Remember the top bolt is not tightened to a high torque, just enough to remove bearing play. The side bolts on the stem do most of the gripping and holding position.

Latest Comments