Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Schwalbe S-one tubeless mini review - they inflate with a hand pump!!

Hi everyone

I don't often post on here but I thought this was something I just had to share.

I've always had a love hate affair with tubeless tyres on my mtb - I like the benefits of running tubeless but always wondered about reinflation issues without having to use a compressor, and the likelihood of me having to carry 2 inner tubes on every ride.  As I don't own a compressor, I feel like I've tried just about every 'ghetto' inflation device going, with limited success.

I recently read a review on here about the S-ones http://road.cc/content/review/173205-schwalbe-s-one-tubeless-tyre

I've often pondered on what it would be like to run tubeless on my roadie, so when I read this, and more importantly, the bit about being 'tubeless easy', curiousity got the better of me and 3 months ago I ordered some from Rose Bikes (everywhere was completely out of stock and I figured a German bike store may get stock in a bit quicker!).  Anyhooo..I got them fitted yesterday and all I can say is Wow!  Just Wow! They were tight to get over the rims but I was surprised when they inflated with just a track pump.  I have NEVER managed to inflate any tyre with a track pump, it has always been a ghetto compressor.  I used the tyre drop pressure thingy as explained in the article to get my pressures just right and did a quick 30 miler last night.  The tyres were absolutely awesome, very comfy indeed and I averaged just under 19mph without really going full gas, for me that was showing no loss of speed whatsoever, especially as they are 30c.

Then I wondered if it was possible to inflate them with a small hand pump (Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini), so I let the air out, broke the bead seal all around, and removed one side of the tyre completely.  Then I reassembled and started pumping up.  To say I was shocked is an understatement - the tyre went up straight away without giving me any grief whatsoever!  It is probably worth noting that my rims are tubeless ready though, don't know how much difference that would make.

I am not affiliated with Schwalbe in any way, the only reason I am posting this is because if anybody has been thinking about tubeless, I would completely recommend these tyres.  Granted, I have only done a quick 30 but am doing The Tour De Broads on Sunday so hopefully I won't be on here Monday morning saying they're a pile of s**te...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

NiceGuySean | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've recently switched bikes, and am now running Schwalbe Pro Ones on my new Engineered Gezel. Absolutely love the ride quality, but got a gash in the rear tyre recently that was big enough to release a fair amount of sealant. Bought all the stuff needed to repair the tyre and re-fill, all I needed to do was get the tyre of the rim of my Reynolds Attack wheels. Easy, or so I thought indecision

One large blister later, and I had to admit I wasn't going to be able to do this by myself, and had to take it to my LBS. There it took two mechanics to remove the tyre and repair it (thankfully I took in both wheels and asked them to check the sealant levels in the front tyre as well.

The mechanic now also has a nice blister on his thumb as well for his efforts....

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

Super P

Surely you'll be ditching all those old fashioned wheels when you move to a disc brake setup?

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Look at this Superpython

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Very interesting read, it's what I based my pressures on for my set up.  Seems to work well.  I'm about 71Kg, can't remember the whole weight of myself plus the bike fully loaded but worked out at 55psi front and 68 rear.  Did 100 miler yesterday and averaged 18.5 in a group so for me they seemed pretty good.

Acm | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd have expected road tubeless to be easier to inflate, as they take fewer strokes of the pump to get them up to pressure. Good to hear you had a positive experience though, I might give them a try one day THC

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I am liking the plug idea!

coops1967 | 7 years ago
1 like

My Schwalbe Pro One's inflate with a track pump on Stans grail rims, and without any soapy stuff brushed around the bead etc... but then Stans Notubes have a good reputation for tubeless ease of use.

Rather than spare tubes, you could carry the genuine innovations plug kit... I've used it once and it works a treat (if far away from help/ a lift home... then a spare tube is still a good idea obviously...)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Innovations-98042-TUBELESS-REPAIR/dp/B0...

Also, I've bought this 'airshot' device which makes tubeless even more fool proof to inflate and should last a lifetime

http://www.airshotltd.com/product/airshot/

KiwiMike replied to coops1967 | 7 years ago
0 likes

coops1967 wrote:

Rather than spare tubes, you could carry the genuine innovations plug kit... I've used it once and it works a treat (if far away from help/ a lift home... then a spare tube is still a good idea obviously...)

Yep. The GI kit is genius: http://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-r...

All my repairs from way back then are still holding strong, now over a year on.

Latest Comments