if you had £500-£600 to spend on a new road bike what would you get?

by fxceltic   July 13, 2010  

Hi all, just considering my first road bike purchase.

Ive been looking at the Specialized Allez 16 gear bike and the Fuji Rubaix 3.0.

I wondered what other recommendations people might have for a bike between £5-600, and interested why as well.

thanks

14 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I compared a fair few bikes in terms of test reports, specs, etc and today picked up my Allez 16.

It just felt 'right' tbh.

Check my previous threads for more info.

posted by Super Domestique [1663 posts]
13th July 2010 - 20:20

0 Likes

Go with the Spesh, it has a nice finish, stiff ride and a frame to upgrade on. Also it will sell 2nd hand easily.

Trusted warranty too.

I like my bike but it needs a hidden 25cc motor Smile

Fish_n_Chips's picture

posted by Fish_n_Chips [329 posts]
14th July 2010 - 14:21

0 Likes

@ fish n chips
Do you work in a bike shop btw?

14th July 2010 - 15:51

0 Likes

Super Domestique wrote:
@ fish n chips
Do you work in a bike shop btw?

No just road rider, why? lol. Big Grin

Do I favour the Spesh? Only from what I have physically seen on paper and a shop ride on last years model.
In red it just looks lush.

if it was 5yrs ago then I would say a Trek 1000/1200. The current Trek 1.1/1.2 are nice but the Spesh has a nice paintjob. Trek messed up by losing that niche to other brands but they do offer lifetime warranty.

Fish_n_Chips's picture

14th July 2010 - 16:13

0 Likes

No prob's with sticking up the Spesh, made my day!
I looked at the likes of Forme, Raleigh, Dawes, Trek, Claud Butler, etc before going for my Allez.

It was the 'insider' type comments like the build wait time in my thread and the warranty issue mentioned here.

I guess everyone is a fair bit more up to date than me these days.

14th July 2010 - 16:15

0 Likes

Knowledge comes with time and experience and no matter how much you have-there is always someone who knows more lol.

Fish_n_Chips's picture

14th July 2010 - 18:03

0 Likes

@ the OP - any progress on your search?

19th July 2010 - 9:11

0 Likes

The Focus Variado compact has been reduced at Wiggle to fit into this price range- it'd trump the Allez in my opinion.

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [811 posts]
22nd July 2010 - 21:36

0 Likes

TheHatter wrote:
The Focus Variado compact has been reduced at Wiggle to fit into this price range- it'd trump the Allez in my opinion.

Except in look Wink Cool

23rd July 2010 - 10:26

0 Likes

The ex-demo bikes on Wiggle are usually a bargain. Got my Focus Cayo that way and saved about 400-quid.

posted by Cannibal 2 [3 posts]
23rd July 2010 - 12:57

0 Likes

Hello all

First post on the forum so thought I'd say hi first.

For what it's worth I just bought a Specialized Allez 16 as my first road bike. As I'm new to it all I don't have much to compare it to, particularly as I was on a really heavy traditional style bike before. I really like it though, it feels incredibly light and fast to me, and everything seems pretty well made. Going to probably try and change the tyres at some point as they don't feel like they'll be very stable in wet weather, but other than that it's ace.

The red colour is awesome too Smile

jijithebatcat's picture

posted by jijithebatcat [5 posts]
5th August 2010 - 11:30

0 Likes

None of us can tell you what is best for you or which you will prefer.

All the main brands have similarly specced bikes at various price points and all are excellent machines. Specialized, Giant, Trek, Boardman, Focus, Cube, Cannondale, Ridgeback, Genesis... and that's just a few off the top of my head. Oh, and don't forget online mail order sellers like Ribble and Planet X.

I suggest you browse some of the big online retailers (Evans, Wiggle, Leisure Lakes, Halfrauds etc) to narrow down the choice as well as reviews on here and Bikeradar of bikes in your price range. Then trawl a few shops to have a sit and kick some tyres, check the specs and decide. Sometimes it can be just down to the colour, there's no shame in that.

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [2219 posts]
5th August 2010 - 13:27

0 Likes

jijithebatcat wrote:
Hello all

First post on the forum so thought I'd say hi first.

For what it's worth I just bought a Specialized Allez 16 as my first road bike. As I'm new to it all I don't have much to compare it to, particularly as I was on a really heavy traditional style bike before. I really like it though, it feels incredibly light and fast to me, and everything seems pretty well made. Going to probably try and change the tyres at some point as they don't feel like they'll be very stable in wet weather, but other than that it's ace.

The red colour is awesome too Smile

Completely know where you are coming from.

9th August 2010 - 16:44

0 Likes

I was particularly impressed with my girlfriends dads new Boardman, for the £600 he spent its a hell of a bike.

STATO's picture

posted by STATO [436 posts]
10th August 2010 - 14:38

0 Likes