Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fuelling advice

OK, so I've signed up for a 50 mile bike ride and have started working towards it already. One thing I have no idea about is fuelling and they're seems to be masses of info which seem to confuse me. So far they longest rides I have done are 30 miles. on the first my performance just dropped off rapidly after an hour. on the second yesterday i used so iso drink from holland and barret and had to head straight to the bathroom as soon as i got home..
At least I kept up a good pace but the stomach cramps etc at nor worth it.

As a newbie roadie what would people advise I try... I know I need carbs and electrolytes do I need to take them both as drinks and are some more kinder to stomachs? Would an electrolyte drink and flap jack give the same end result?

Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked many times. perhaps I over did it and didn't drink it over a long enough period or didn't take enough water between glues. I tried a sip or two every 20 mins say 150 ml.

Thanks for any help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not to be disrectful but there's not enough space on this forum to provide a complete answer. Understand the basics needed: calories, hydration and electrolytes; 20 to 24 ounces of fluid per hour, and approximately 200 calories per hour. These are estimates that will vary depending on how hot it is (how much you sweat) and how much you weigh. If you consume much more than that, you’re going to overload your system.

Don't forget your electrolytes: sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Calories are like the gas in the car. The electrolytes are like the oil. You need both for the car to run efficiently.

Latest Comments