Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

disc brake rotor question

Hi guys,

I am just looking for some advice on possibly upgrading the discs on my cannondale synapse. Currently they are the shimano ultegra hydros with 140mm rotors.  I am a fairly big bloke at 6ft 4 and 16st 7 and would like to up the rotor size to 160mm for a bit of extra braking power, in order to do this i know i will need new rotors and some adaptors to lift the calipers to accomodate the larger sized rotors.

Rotor wise i am fairly happy with the idea of going for 160mm shimano ice tec centrelocks but i will be damned if i can figure out which adaptors i would need to buy to go with them. Looking at upgrading front and rear so would need both if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be extremely grateful!

Cheers in advance

Col

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

keeweeman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Apologies, it is the other way around, i couldnt find 6 bolt to centrelock adaptors! I found a few of the c/l to 6 bolt ones as they just an oversized centrelock flange with bolt holes! Hard to see how they would be able to make one going the other way because of how far out the adaptor would push the rotor out from the hub etc

fukawitribe replied to keeweeman | 7 years ago
0 likes

keeweeman wrote:

Apologies, it is the other way around, i couldnt find 6 bolt to centrelock adaptors!

Ah - makes sense now.

keeweeman wrote:

I found a few of the c/l to 6 bolt ones as they just an oversized centrelock flange with bolt holes! Hard to see how they would be able to make one going the other way because of how far out the adaptor would push the rotor out from the hub etc

Indeed  1

keeweeman | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have seen the converters but so far i am reasonably happy with the normal discs that came with the bike and haven't felt the need to go for floating yet, just want a bit more bite for the odd occasion where my bulk gets the better of the rotors lol. Also, i want to upgrade the wheels at some stage and until i decide which way to go with them i don't see the point shelling out too much on fancier rotors only for them to be out of service fairly quickly as there isn't an adaptor that takes the discs from centrelock to 6 bolt, only 6 bolt to c/l.

fukawitribe replied to keeweeman | 7 years ago
0 likes

keeweeman wrote:

Also, i want to upgrade the wheels at some stage and until i decide which way to go with them i don't see the point shelling out too much on fancier rotors only for them to be out of service fairly quickly as there isn't an adaptor that takes the discs from centrelock to 6 bolt, only 6 bolt to c/l.

Sorry only just seen this - there are indeed centrelock to 6-bolt adaptors, e.g. Superstar do these

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/centrelock-adaptor.htm

..probably some others around too but not had the need to look for 'em. Cheers

Windydog | 7 years ago
0 likes

Good post Col,  thinking the same as 140mm and my not inconsequential 15st 8 means power will likely run out before traction, particlarly on the front with 16st of transferring weight forcing into the contact patch.   

Believe Shimano do a 6 stud / centrelock converter out there so this would open up all the floating discs too without cost/weight disadvantage.  Been a fan of Hope since my MTB days, as the fizzing noise is more appealling than the sqealing banshee under heavy use.

keeweeman | 7 years ago
1 like

That's a fair response, i used to use a 203 front and 180 rear on my downhill bike when i used to ride DH and that always worked fine.  There is nothing to stop me upgrading the front first, trying it and then if needs be doing the rear at a later date either tbf.

That said imagine a 203 rotor on a road bike, broken neck waiting to happen lol.

Thanks again.

Col

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

160mm is hell of a lot of brake for the rear, are you sure 140mm isn't sufficient ? If you're sold on some sort of ungrade 160/140mm front/rear would be cheaper ..and if your extra-sized front is doing its job, there's not going to be more load on the rear wheel whilst braking. Just a thought, your money and all that.

keeweeman | 7 years ago
0 likes

It is indeed post mount, thank you for that!

So am i correct in thinking i would need 2 of the "K" adaptors? Assuming that its the same adaptor front and rear since the others seem to stipulate which end they are for/what size to get for each end?

Thanks again!

Col

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi Col,

Hope has a nice adapter scheme. I suspect your current caliper fitting in the frame/fork is post mount. If so, you would need Hope K adaptor.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Hope_Brake_Mounts_201...

Hope this helps!

Ogi

Latest Comments