Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

British bikes?

Hi All,

Sounds like my office might be getting a Cycle to Work scheme, so I may be able to get away with investing (ahem) in a new bike.

But after replacing my brake pads yesterday and seeing the big 'Made in Taiwan' sticker on my Gary Fisher, I thought it would be a good time to start a "who makes bikes over here" thread. I just thought that, if I coudl afford it, it'd be good to support some local industry!

Cheers,

Tim.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes

Are Bob Jackson still going? I miss mine almost each and every day.

TheHatter | 13 years ago
0 likes

And theres that most British of brands; Mercian.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Let's add Argos Racing Cycles to the list...

http://www.argoscycles.com

timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

@tony_farrelly - it's a good point. I don't mean to diss kit that is made abroad - it's more about supporting local builders, really ...

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Roarat frame too… but it is made in Taiwan, nothing wrong with that in my book though cos they have gotten pretty good at it over the years  1

Pashley still make their bikes over here, and most Bromptons are made here too… think it's only parts of the Ti ones that aren't, and there's Moulton as well.

vorsprung | 13 years ago
0 likes

I have a Cotic Roadrat frame, with a Hope headset and a Brooks B17

The rest of the parts are not from the UK but I did build the wheels myself

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

There are quite a few frames which are built here, such as Roberts, Dave Yates and Hewitt. Enigma make their steel frames in the UK (plus some titanium frames). But a complete bicycle is unlikely to come in under the £1000 Cycle to Work limit.

There aren't many bicycle components made in the UK, but Hope are one of the few.

Latest Comments