British bikes?

by timlennon   July 12, 2010  

Hi All,

Sounds like my office might be getting a Cycle to Work scheme, so I may be able to get away with investing (ahem) in a new bike.

But after replacing my brake pads yesterday and seeing the big 'Made in Taiwan' sticker on my Gary Fisher, I thought it would be a good time to start a "who makes bikes over here" thread. I just thought that, if I coudl afford it, it'd be good to support some local industry!

Cheers,

Tim.

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

There are quite a few frames which are built here, such as Roberts, Dave Yates and Hewitt. Enigma make their steel frames in the UK (plus some titanium frames). But a complete bicycle is unlikely to come in under the £1000 Cycle to Work limit.

There aren't many bicycle components made in the UK, but Hope are one of the few.

two wheels good; four wheels bad

posted by cat1commuter [1345 posts]
12th July 2010 - 12:10

0 Likes

I have a Cotic Roadrat frame, with a Hope headset and a Brooks B17

The rest of the parts are not from the UK but I did build the wheels myself

vorsprung's picture

posted by vorsprung [291 posts]
12th July 2010 - 14:13

0 Likes

I've got a Roarat frame too… but it is made in Taiwan, nothing wrong with that in my book though cos they have gotten pretty good at it over the years Smile

Pashley still make their bikes over here, and most Bromptons are made here too… think it's only parts of the Ti ones that aren't, and there's Moulton as well.

Tony Farrelly's picture

posted by Tony Farrelly [4143 posts]
12th July 2010 - 14:26

0 Likes

@tony_farrelly - it's a good point. I don't mean to diss kit that is made abroad - it's more about supporting local builders, really ...

timlennon's picture

posted by timlennon [227 posts]
12th July 2010 - 14:46

0 Likes

Let's add Argos Racing Cycles to the list...

http://www.argoscycles.com

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7385 posts]
12th July 2010 - 14:55

0 Likes

And theres that most British of brands; Mercian.

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [810 posts]
12th July 2010 - 21:13

0 Likes

Are Bob Jackson still going? I miss mine almost each and every day.

jimmythecuckoo's picture

posted by jimmythecuckoo [1256 posts]
13th July 2010 - 10:23

0 Likes