Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2012 tcr advanced sl or 2014 defy advanced

Hi all,

Due to limited budget and knowledge in evaluating used bike, please help me to decide whether I shall get a 2012 tcr advanced sl or a 2014 defy advanced?

(I have yet to examine the bikes and let's assuming both are in good condition)

Specs as below:

2012 tcr advanced sl 
Full 105 11spd model 5800 
Crank 53/39
Cassette 11/28
Stem giant SL 120mm 
Saddle selle X1
Wheel Reynolds stratus elite 
£835

2014 defy advanced 2
Full 105 11spd 5800
Crank 50/34
Cassette 11/28
Giant Neos Cycling Computer
Giant Ridesense sensor
Giant PSL-1 wheel
Fizik Aliante versus
£930

My thoughts so far:

Tcr has certain parts upgarded while defy keep most of its part in original stock condition

tcr advanced SL is built by a far superior carbon material than defy, but the material is 2 years older than Defy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

On the plus side though, the change from even 9 speed to 11 speed is a revelation. When you're cycling along and wish it was just a little bit easier or you want to go  little bit faster, the close ratios of 11 speed are awesome.  I once explained it to someone as feeling like the difference between driving a manual car versus a CVT automatic, with 9 speed there's always a compromise in how hard you wand to pedal, with 11 it seems there's always the perfect ratio.

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Then apologies again, I wrongly assumed you were UK based. You don't say where you live, but it is still worth checking whether dealers have offers on. As I said, most of the major manufacturers are currently releasing their 2017 models, and 2016 old stock prices are dropping as a result. Too many people in the UK don't want "last year's model".

Also, if budget is an issue bear in mind something a dealer told me a while ago. Moving to an 11 speed groupset from a 8/9 speed groupset, is like moving from a family car to a sports car in terms of running costs. The thinner, lighter, chains for example wear quicker, and if not replaced soon enough, the chain will start to eat the cassette. Now there have been plenty of threads on here about how long a chain should last, with claims ranging from 8oo miles to 3000 miles, so no need to repeat, but 1500 miles would be a reasonable average. It depends on lots of things, how often you lube, what type of lube, what type of weather, how much dust do you ride through etc. The point here being, somebody selling a bike is unlikely to have changed the chain recently, so you might want to assume a new chain and cassette in your budget. Also examine the cables for signs of wear and freedom of movement.

700c | 7 years ago
1 like

Tcr advanced sl is an awesome bike though I am biased as I have one.

Other posters are correct in that the geometries are different and designed for slightly different purposes. Not necessarily a problem, but in your case the fork's steerer tube (maybe even the seat post if ISP) will have already been cut so you may not be able to raise the front end, if TCR proves too low.

Also agree you should consider the various deals on new bikes online at the mo - trek, giant etc.

Ultimately if the TCR fitted you, and you're a 'press on' kind of rider who likes hills, on a strict budget, that'd be my choice, hands down. The 2012-2015 TCR's are v similar, the only big changes coming in for 2016. You won't get lighter for the price.

JLCampig | 7 years ago
0 likes

peted76, thx for sharing the pros & cons, which is exactly what I'm lookin for...

Griff500, need no apology, I believe good people ride and care; that's why you still offer your advice and did apologize.

ok, to let the prices I quoted make more sense, maybe we do a comparison here:

in my country, now a new 2016 DEFY ADV 2 cost around 6.8k but my budget is below 5k

bikes available in used market:-

2012 TCR ADV SL: 4.5k (specs as above)

2014 Dedy ADV 2: 4.9k (specs as above)

2014 Wellier GTR : 4.9k

- Ultegra 11 speed groupset

-  brakes (shimano 105)
- stock wheel shimano RS5
- upgraded BB bottom bracket wishbone

I have been riding alloy Fuji Roubaix Sora since 2012, so it's time to upgrade  with the budget available

I train 2-3 / weekly and aim to complete my 1st century next year, haha

Personally, I fancy the more racy TCR but have some concern of the age of carbon material (which already addressed by peted76) but now I found a equally or even better Wellier GTR with Ultegra 

hope i have make myself clearer this round hehe

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

JL, in case you found my previous answer unhelpful (in which case I apologise), you might want to have a look at what is available in the sales at the moment. For example a brand new Emonda in 105 spec can be had for £1100, with full backup, full Trek warranty, and no doubt a proper bike fitting. With 2017 models now launched, I am sure there will be good deals from all brands including the ubiquitous Giant. To me, the bikes you quoted look expensive, and peted76's asking price for a much better Ultegra spec would support that view. And there are few things in this World as nice as a shiny new, unridden, bike.

Update: Going price for 2016 Defy Adv 2 wearing 105, £1039 - choose your dealer, full warranty, full fitting. Why buy somebody else's cast off for £100 less!

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you not comparing a full race bike with an endurance bike? Totally different geometries and in this case totally different gearing? Should you not first decide what style of bike you want based on the type of riding you want to do and then choose between different endurance or different race models as appropriate, or is your only prerequisite that the bike has Giant written on the side? (I know it is sacrilege to say this on this site, but other manufacturers are available!)

peted76 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Age has little effect on carbon.

Both good bikes, pro's and cons for both..

TCR Pro's - Wheels & price. //  Defy Pro's - newer model.

Depends on the type of rider you are.. looking for a social 50miler on a weekend - go for the defy, looking to hoon it round the streets in a chain gang, go for the TCR. (Both models do both adequetly but the defy is designed for a bit more comfort and the tcr is race geometry to get you longer(?) and lower.

For what it's worth I'll be listing my 2013 TCR Compsite, full ultegra for £700 on ebay or £600 off ebay. It's a size small. (Just in case). 

Latest Comments