Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Pill Path

Does anyone know who I write to about the state of the Pill Path (the cycle path alongside the river Avon from the Cumberland Basin to Pill, in Bristol)?

I rode home along there tonight: it's such an awful journey.  All the gravel which was dumped on there a year or so ago to fill up the ruts in the mud has sunk into the mud, leaving a few bits of stone sticking up. And I nearly came off several times between the rutted mud and the loose gravel. A truly horrible journey which reminded me why I like Tarmac...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

drjohn | 7 years ago
0 likes

You need a gravel bike mate!

Seriously though, the path was getting pretty rough and muddy a couple of years ago and I remember thinking it was more suited to a CX or enduro bike than my commuter bike (which had 23mm slicks). But I rather enjoyed the challenge.

Has the loose gravel made it worse or has it just gone back to how it was before?

brooksby replied to drjohn | 7 years ago
0 likes

drjohn wrote:

Seriously though, the path was getting pretty rough and muddy a couple of years ago and I remember thinking it was more suited to a CX or enduro bike than my commuter bike (which had 23mm slicks). But I rather enjoyed the challenge.

Has the loose gravel made it worse or has it just gone back to how it was before?

I think that the loose gravel was there for maybe one season.  It's now sunk into the mud without trace, so that the Path is back to square one,

Canyon48 replied to drjohn | 7 years ago
0 likes

drjohn wrote:

That path is such a blast on my cx/gravel/commuter/frankenbike!

Totally understand where you are coming from though, it's horrendous if you aren't in to thrashing it about on rutted naf surfaces. I would try Bristol City Council and Sustrans, you are totally right, the path is unsuitable for anything other than big fat tyres and balls of steel.

Latest Comments