Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stem not gripping handle bar tightly

Seeing as my bike came with an impossibly long 130mm stem and my back was hurting I bought a spangly carbon stem at 90mm to grip my 3T bar. All is good unless I go over a jolt (common in Northamptonshire) at which point the bars move about 10 degrees downwards. By the end of a long run the drops are higher than than the hoods. The stem is torqued correctly.

What is the best thing to wrap around the bar to make it 1-2mm thicker? The answer is definitely not electrical insulation tape as that has made it worse rather than better. 

All responses gratefully received.

MT

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Butty | 7 years ago
1 like

Is this Mother T an ex-SNetter? 

Mother Theresa replied to Butty | 7 years ago
0 likes

Butty wrote:

Is this Mother T an ex-SNetter? 

The same ("there can only be one")...laugh

roomservicetaco | 7 years ago
0 likes

Best shim is an aluminum soda can.  You can cut one with metal shears or heavy-duty scissors.  Make the cuts radially that the shim is curved.

Sandpaper (as mentioned above) is also a good solution.

Mother Theresa | 7 years ago
0 likes

I went with the inner tube solution which worked very nicely so thank-you. It might be my imagination but some of the road buzz has been mopped up too so double plus.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

Any chance you have a 31.7mm bar with a 31.8mm Stem?

I know Deda are normally 31.7mm...not sure if that tiny 0.1mm makes that much difference...

Carbon assembly paste is always a good idea, even if not carbon surfaces for both stem/bar.

Also...Tighten the top faceplate’s clamping bolts until the top is completely closed and the faceplates sit flush against the stem body. This ensures that the clamping forces will be even across the bar (then check that the torque is correct usually 5-6nm). If you have far exceeded this, there is a chance you may already have deformed one or other of the components and that is why they may not be seating properly.

Vejnemojnen | 7 years ago
0 likes

use toothpaste or some grippy compound

and get another frame.. 90mm is faaaaar to short.

at least you should be on 120mm. I only ride 130 and longer   1

. . | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you re-checked the bolt torque after the first ride?   Repeat until the bolts don't tighten any further.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fine grit sand paper folded to give double sided rough. You can glue the inside to stop slippage

Mother Theresa | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well I'm not sure it is exactly right so I'll give the inner tube a go, thanks guys.

Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're sure the stem is the correct unit to cope with your handlebar diameter, try some carbon assembly paste.

jackcf | 7 years ago
1 like

I don't know if this would work foryour bars, but I use sections of old inner tubes to make up width if I need to for things like lights. I find they work better than the spacers that come as standard as they are much grippier (grippy-er?).

Latest Comments