Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Newly resurfaced road

To celebrate the newly resurfaced one-time deathtrap section on the B818 down from Carron Valley to Fintry, has anyone else got a bit of good news to share on what was a nightmare to ride and now is near bliss?

The Tak Ma Doon/Crow circular route has just got a whole lot better. There still a few dodgy bits after the bridge but at least they are on a fairly straight part so little risk of getting chucked into the path of an oncoming vehicle compared to what was above there before. To those who don't know that bit round the back of the Campsie hills, it was hellish. Old repairs on older ones, that turned it into the asphalt equivalent of corrugated iron, down a decent drop with a blind bend to negotiate.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
1 like

We don't know what newly resurfaced and flat roads are here in Cambridgeshire....not since 1993 when the public works act was repealed by the then government...

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

They've just chip sealed about 3 miles of my local 27 miler. It's horrible and I found a blob of tar stuck under my saddle over the weekend which was novel.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Some very lovely new bits of Tarmac in Essex.

And some horrible stretches of chipseal for some reason.

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

@SuperPython59

How much did the court order cost? If not a great deal I'm tempted.

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

@ Ad Hynkel

I knew they were fixing the Carron Valley Rd but I wasn't holding my breath, was half expecting surface dressing bollocks. Is it from the reservoir dam down to the river? That whole shitty section?

Ad Hynkel replied to HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes
HalfWheeler wrote:

@ Ad Hynkel

I knew they were fixing the Carron Valley Rd but I wasn't holding my breath, was half expecting surface dressing bollocks. Is it from the reservoir dam down to the river? That whole shitty section?

If it's the part from the car park next to the dam down to bridge above the waterfall (Loup of Fintry?) you mean, then that was redone a year or two back. The newly resurfaced section is below the parking space for the footpath back to the waterfall and runs down to the next bridge over the burn. Roughly here (56.051215, -4.153476) to here (56.051215, -4.153476). Maybe next year they'll get the remainder fixed, but for now it's a whole lot better.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

Newly resurfaced, West Quay Road in Southampton going past Ikea. Previously rutted by HGVs with huge potholes and raised ironworks, now billiard-table smooth. Will be knackered again in a couple of months because drainage is bad and there's an insatiable export market for Range Rover Evoques & big JCB earth-moving eqpt.

rnick | 7 years ago
1 like

Newly re-surfaced:  Walton Head Lane, Kirkby Overblow

The assortment of loosely connected potholes on this single track road has now been replaced by a smooth road.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
2 likes

I know it well from my late teenage years on (mid 80's). Terrible road - difficult to drive never mind cycle on.

Latest Comments