Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

new wheels

So, Ive taken the plunge and bought some new sram s80 clinchers for my triathlons and tt's. Ive got michelin latex tubes for them but am at a crossroads with regard tyre choice.

I usually use either michelin pro race 3's or conti supersonic tyres.

Does anyone have a particular favourite that I should try? What is fast and doesnt puncture easily? Price is a consideration but not as much as the rolling resistance and pucture resistance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

stuke | 13 years ago
0 likes

I always used Supersonics foe TTing when I used clinchers but never use them in the wet as they will puncture very easily. one other option is

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_GP_Triathlon_Tyre/5360025818/

similar weight to the supersonic but with puncture protection - best of both worlds  1

step-hent | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've used Schwalbe Ultremos in the past. Very light and they felt like they rolled very well indeed - really zippy feel (though obviously feel is subjective), and though not especially durable they'd be good for TT's. I'm on tubeless now so don't use them any more, but if I went back to clinchers they'd be top of my list for my best bike.

simonmb | 13 years ago
0 likes

The Conti Supersonic has no puncture protection (Conti are upfront about this, and nominally sell it as a 'track tyre'), hence it is very lightweight (145g for the 20mm), supple, and rides very well and can be ridden at high pressure. I've teamed it with Michelin latex tubes and ridden it on the road (without any punctures) for around 1,000km. They are worn to their limits now, and on removal I found a couple of cuts that went right through the tread (interestingly without puncturing the latex). So, in my opinion, could be a good choice for TT.

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Those tyres are sticky and forgive me for being a noob at TT but wouldn't you want as least rolling friction resistance?

Unless you go round sharp bends I guess but I would use a tyre that is protective agianst punctures combined with superlight weight-which I don't know one out there.

What about the Michelin Pro 3 Light 180g if you want a slight upgrade, otherwise on a budget I think you have a good choice already.

Specialized Mondo S-Works Road Tyre is not as grippy but not rubbish either.

Latest Comments