Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Possible squeaky cleat/pedal fix (SPD)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Jimnm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Might be the pedal. Worth checking for any play in the pedal

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

How old/worn are they? I always get a creak when I wear out the plastic bit that says shimano. Easy enough to source and replace. 

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

I occasionally experience squeaky cleat with my SPDs on my winter road bike.  Pedals are pretty new - probably around 2-3K miles; cleats are nearly brand new.

Couple of things I've identified:

i) Spraying all the pedal surfaces with a little silicone spray stops the squeaking for a few rides (this is the lazy, quick-fix solution), but shoe/pedal interface can feel a bit odd (very slippy) for the first ride

ii) Much of the squeakiness comes because the angle of the cleat on the shoe is not quite right, and I am operating towards one side of the float range.  If I deliberately turn my heel outwards, the squeaking stops.  I need to readjust my cleats.

pruaga | 7 years ago
0 likes

Replace the cleats?  I had a really squeaky cleat on my commuting shoes that vanished when I replaced the pair.  It's an easy enough thing to try,

Latest Comments