Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Looking for a route sugestion - Getting [through/past] Cambridge from Bedford on the way to Norwich

Hi,

Has anyone, with local knowladge, got any reccomendations as to any good routes through or around Cambridge while heading in an West<>East direction?

I live in Bedford and want to get (to/from) Norwich - and Cambridge with it's heavily used roads is rather in the way.  <Very inconsiderate of it>

I was thinking of using a route similar to the Bike Events Cambridge to Norwich ride for part of the way but that leaves the problem of how to get to/through/around Cambridge in a reasonably painless way. This route is shown at the bottom of this page: http://bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=542&n=y​  Any other sugestions are welcome.

In anticipation - Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

AWP | 7 years ago
0 likes

ShufflingB's route is spot on. I live just west of Cambridge and that is the route I'd ride west to Bedford (generally quiet roads) and east towards Newmarket. After Fulbourn you could consider heading to Lode, Burwell, Soham and maybe Brandon but my local knowledge runs out at that point. If you can ride off-road there are some newish routes around Wicken Fen that are very picturesque.

Good luck.

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies - Much appreciated.

DanTe - I've looked for a Northen route but, being the muppet I am, I can't plot a way through without hitting the red/green roads more than I'd like (everything becomes very North/South by the Cam) - unless.... I go off road for a few sections - which does sound fun - So maybe I'll give that a go  15

ShufflingB - Thanks for the Strava route - It runs close to or along some of the roads that I use on my loop out to Bassingbourne & so I'll give that go in the next couple of weeks. 

H

shufflingb | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have driven backwards and forwards between the two for too many years and ridden around the area for the last few. Main issues are avoiding being funnelled onto A14 or A428, and getting across the dualled up the large North South routes, i.e. A1, M11 and A11. 

Not really sure on route after Cambridge, beyond knowing that on the few sportives I've done in that vicinity, Fulbourn seems to make a reasonable jumping off point to the East.

So fwiw, I'd go 

Wilden, Gt Barford, Blunham, Tempsford, Everton (enjoy the hill!), Gamlingay, Longstowe, Kingston, Little Everton, Harlton, Haslingfield, Harston, Newton, Great Shelford,  Fulbourn.

The Strava route for it is here https://www.strava.com/routes/5821115

Have fun  1

DanTe | 7 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd avoid both Cambridge and Newmarket. There's some nice roads just after the latter towards Norwich but id say in the immediate area of Cambridge it's pretty dull.

I'd go St Neots, cross country towards Fordham'ish area via Swavensey, on towards Cavenham, west stow then diagonally up to NCH via places like Great  Livermere, Hopton and  Banham.

HowardR | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks HTH - Much appreciated.

Latest Comments