Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TTT turbo sessions

I have foolishly let myself enter a TTT and with a smidge over three weeks to go, I am acutely aware that I should do some training but I am unsure how to prep for a TTT. I have never even raced a TT! 

I suppose I am pretty fit anyway, so I'd just like to boost my top end and taper off.

Any sessions for quick results please? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

There is little point in starting training  for anything which is in 3 weeks..

willythepimp replied to Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

Anthony.C wrote:

Ther is little point in starting training  for anything which is in 3 weeks..

I'm putting in as much effort into watt saving as production, but thanks for the input.

Matt_S replied to Anthony.C | 7 years ago
1 like

Anthony.C wrote:

Ther is little point in starting training  for anything which is in 3 weeks..

So long as you are already training regularly, 2 weeks of 2x20 (or 3x20 if you're up to it) over-under sessions every other day will definitely pull up your LTS. Then reduce to 3x10 / 3x8 the week before the event to taper.

Matt_S | 7 years ago
2 likes

For a TTT you would be best doing over/under sessions rather than hard/easy intervals.  You want to be aiming to hit the front of the line and hold your speed. This will result in a rise in power as you hit the wind, but you don't want jump into a sprint and gap the rider behind you. It's all about being smooth. When you peel off, you don't drop down to L2 pace or you'll be ejected off the back of the line, you have to just ease off the gas and drift back down the line. If you let your relative speed to the bunch drop too much you have to sprint to latch on. Do this too often and you'll explode.

As such, the over/under workout is where it's at. You have to be riding above threshold when you're on the front, and you need to be able to recover while riding close to threshold.

willythepimp replied to Matt_S | 7 years ago
1 like

Matt_S wrote:

For a TTT you would be best doing over/under sessions rather than hard/easy intervals.  You want to be aiming to hit the front of the line and hold your speed. This will result in a rise in power as you hit the wind, but you don't want jump into a sprint and gap the rider behind you. It's all about being smooth. When you peel off, you don't drop down to L2 pace or you'll be ejected off the back of the line, you have to just ease off the gas and drift back down the line. If you let your relative speed to the bunch drop too much you have to sprint to latch on. Do this too often and you'll explode.

As such, the over/under workout is where it's at. You have to be riding above threshold when you're on the front, and you need to be able to recover while riding close to threshold.

Best way to prepare my body for the effort I suppose.

Thanks for everyone's responses- let the panic training commence!

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Ride in a line as close as you dare. First rider peels off drops to back. Eventually you do your turn at the front. Don't go too hard or too long on the front or you won't last the course.

Training, do interval sprints of a minute at full power. 1min hard, 1 min recovery Up to 10times, if you can last that long. Do 2 sessions a week and one longer ride to keep endurance. With only 3 weeks this is the only way to build a fitness for such an event. You have said you have a decent base fitness. You never know you might be fitter than your team mates and then it will be easy

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

I'd spam Sufferfests for a few weeks. You can get a week free at the moment if you have a Mac and download the app, which gives you access to all vids. 5x5 squat sessions on top of that, maybe twice a week. 

Would be a tough three weeks of training but it would go in fast and you'd be putting out your best effort. Probably ditch the squats if didn't have weights at home. 

willythepimp | 7 years ago
1 like

Yeah, quite hard to go full gas for the specified time/cadence/pain while on the road. 

We are mostly quite well practiced from chaingang sessions ect but I'm sure we will get together afew times beforehand, if only to sort tactics. Me on the back holding on for dear life!

Kapelmuur | 7 years ago
0 likes

My question is why ride a turbo when summer has finally arrived?

Simon E replied to Kapelmuur | 7 years ago
4 likes

Kapelmuur wrote:

My question is why ride a turbo when summer has finally arrived?

It's easier and surely safer to do high intensity intervals properly, which is the sort of session that would help for this event.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd have thought that the most crucial thing is to practice riding with your teammates.

Latest Comments