Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Indoor training apps- without a smart trainer or power meter.

I've scanned the internet and various forums and DCR's website for this question but still haven't found anything definitive. 

Does anybody have any suggestions for the best virtual training app for a set up of a normal fluid trainer plus Ant+ speed, cadence and HR sensors (no power meter). 

Given the lack of smart trainer and power, I feel that a lot of the features on some of the more expensive apps/software might be slightly waisted on this set up, really I just want something to either give me a nice disctraction from the monotomy of training and/or something that could help make some structured training plans/intervals based on the available metrics- mainly HR.

Bkool looked pretty good for this purpose- I like the idea of Zwift in that it could be fun to "compete" but obviously without the power meter or realistic gradient/resistance then it might not be worth it.

Thoughts from anyone who has a similar set up?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

kenyond | 7 years ago
0 likes

I 2nd trainerroad, ive just started using it with a speed/cadance and hrm andf its bloody good. My turbo is a elite qobo smartmag (i dont use the smart though) trainerroad also do a free 30 day intro.

TR covers everything you could need for traing with multiple plans you can pick from that cover different amount of times per week as well

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

You don't need to spend too much, or have a smart trainer, to get quite a lot out of Zwift , Sufferfest or TrainerRoad - the first two are excellent for taking your mind off things, TR has the more complete training packages.

Cycleops and Kurt Kinetic fluid trainers both give very realistic feel, consistent reading (especially the Kurt) in varying heat/humidity, power curves that track pretty well with real power - albeit offset typically - and are ridiculously robust and well made. The KK Road Machine/Rock and Roll can also be fitted with the InRide 'power meter'  for well under £ 100 - basically an ANT+ speed sensor that works on the roller and broadcasts the calculated power back out and gives surprisingly good power accuracy (see e.g. DCR) - copes much better than the stand-alone trainer with accelerations too. I have this set-up as my dumb trainer (KK RoadMachine/InRide).

Zwift also works well with both, but be aware -  it's very easy to get distracted with competition on there ! The racing is highly addictive and well done, and it's sometimes hard to concentrate on the intervals when you have friends / groups buzzing past... fabulous fun mind, even with a dumb trainer.

BKool has always looked good, nearly bought one (tried it) on the strength of the app and price of the trainer - but for me it suffers from the problems other trainers (e.g. Elite) have that use a pivot arm for the wheel attachment, namely sprinting and out-of-seat/unloading. Shame, like their stuff, although plenty of people don't find it an issue and you could always use another trainer with the software anyway.

Speaking of which, the lower range Tacx Smart trainers have been coming down steadily in price, and the general build quality seems to be improving over the last couple of years so could well be worth having a look around - particularly in the European websites.

Whatever trainer you end up with i'd definitely recommend trying the free trails for all the three apps and see what floats your boat - they're not all for every one but you should get a really good impression of what they're like in a week or so.

Have fun.

katywu | 7 years ago
1 like

Have you looked at TrainerRoad?

If you TT is suitable then it calculates a virtual power capability against which you ride after doing an FTP test. 

Latest Comments