Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shoes choice. Need your option

Hi all.

Straight to the point. Need your subjective opinion.

-Do I want shoes really tight or a bit more room?

-Do I need a carbon fiber sole?

-Giro Republic LX vs Empire VR90?

After I bought my 1st bike in 10 years, I was looking for a pair of shoes. Want something casual (walkable), but with good performance.

I'm:

-newbie (=might be some mistakes in pedaling and etc).

-heavy (=95 kilos)

-young (=26yo - means I'll pedal pretty hard)

-Now using a bike for evening/weekend rides, and commute on fridays.

So it's pretty hard choice because of a weight. I won't participate in races though, but with 95 kilos and lack of experience I'd like to have solid shoes that won't fail.

I was looking at Giro republics, in 45 and 46. Surprisingly I've tried two models in 46 and they fit a bit different. 45.5 would be great, but there're no Republics in half-sizes. I've tried different brands also, but Giros fit best. Shimano second btw.  Top model: Giro Empire VR90 which comes in half sizes.

After searching google, I found exactly what I wanted: Giro Empire VR90 in 45.5 for really good price. Sounds like a no brainer? After I got em they're wayyy more narrow then Republics, and also shorter. I've tried several rides in them, after maybe 200-300km fit was better, but still unpleasant: I can only ride with very thin sock, and fit is not perfect. Shoes also fit a but painful in the begining. If I lace it again, after I start - it helps.

I was loooking at Giro Republics also, since VR90 were not perfect, and found another great deal: Leather version in 46. Definately wider, fits better, but I haven't tried them in action yet. I have some concerns about ventilation, VR90 is made from microfiber while replublic made from leather.

And yes, if you wonder, I'd sitting here with two pairs at the same moment, trying to decice, should I sell VR90 or return Republics?

Which one should I keeep?

Does carbon fiber sole makes sense?

Breathability makes sense?

Any opinions are welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

TLN | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simon E, thaks for reply, that's pretty much what I was asking:

Stick with more comfy Republics or go with smaller top VR90.

I'm afraid there's no space for thick sock in VR90, may be if I ride without insoles.  I cannot expect what it feels like riding in seriously cold conditions, where I need extra sock, but I will try it this winter  1

Guess, best way is to go with bigger VR90s, but they're pricey. I can give em a try, if I only find another great deal.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Keep the pair that is more comfortable. Fit is far more important than anything else, I'd find a brand whose sizing/last shape suits you before you do anything else.

I bought Specialized BG Sport 43 after trying a friend's pair. 43 fits me well (my usual shoe size 42), I have both a road cleat version for racing & MTB version for everything else. I'm sure lighter shoes would be nice but in the real world these do me just fine. They seem pretty stiff to me, I struggle to imagine that a carbon fibre sole could make much difference.

If you also ride in cooler weather will there be room for thicker socks?

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I went leftfield on my last pair of shoes as well as going by online reviews. Got some Bont A3's pretty cheap. Supposed to be a 9/10 shoe by road.cc. Just no.

Actually thought they were good at the start, but they're pretty bad I think now. Sole shape is really wide and odd, and the fibreglass sole is a bit spongey. If not the sole then something is spongey about it. Numb feet are easy to get, need to shift feet around regularly to avoid it.

I want a carbon sole next and a regular shoe shape. Something that looks and fits like a normal shoe. My feet are pretty normal so I'll be looking towards some Giro's or similar. 

racingcondor | 7 years ago
0 likes

Spuik fit is similar to Giro. I also have the Giro Republics and while they're great for riding I found the rubber on the walking supports came fairly quickly (they were abused though).

Carbon soles are usually stiffer just because it's a stronger material so at a given thickness it's stronger. As such you don't 'need' it but it does help make a better shoe.

Stu Kerton | 7 years ago
0 likes

You want your shoes to fit close, closer than you want a pair of trainers to for instance as your feet don't move around as much in cycling shoes.

You want a bit of room though as your feet will swell in the heat and on longer rides.

The walk around in the living room test is one of the best you can do if you don't know what brand fits you the best. For me the Giro Factor's were like slippers on the bike until they finally wore out after about 30,000 miles of riding.

If you want to stomp on the pedals then carbon fibre soles are a must for me at least, I find anything else too flexible which causes hot spots.

Yorkshire wallet replied to Stu Kerton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Stu Kerton wrote:

If you want to stomp on the pedals then carbon fibre soles are a must for me at least, I find anything else too flexible which causes hot spots.

Oddly enough I've just moved to carbon fibre shimanos and I've got a terrible hot spot in the right foot. I've also just literally worn through the balls of my trainers but the right hand side has gone first. Probably some biomechanical issue I need to sort out?

TLN | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've tried smallest and biggest insert. Biggest fits better - with smallest foot stays flat - and a bit longer. I can touch the front part of shoe - that's not really comfy.

Giros Republics fit pretty good. They might be even better for walking, then VR90.

My question is more general: should I try to fit in VR90 (different insole or something else) or go for Republics. It's possible to fit in VR90s, but do I really need that tight fit for fast casual riding?

Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried with the smallest footbed insert?

I also treated myself to the VR90s, and had to go up a full size to 45 from my usual 44. I don't race and rarely cycle for longer than a couple of hours. The microfibre nature makes them easier to clean and quicker to dry than the pair I had prior.

If you find them uncomfortable, I'd suggest a different make as a comparison - the Giro Last may not be for you.

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

All l can say, my normal shoe / trainer size is 43 ( size 9)

the two pairs of cycling  shoes , a pair of bontrager  race dlx size 44 the other a pair of giant bolt size 45, both have ventilation , both pairs fit a treat, my feet I suppose are average in size not wide across the ball

shoes are a personal thing , a friend of mine orders them on line and sits with them on his feet for about an hour ,just walking round on the carpet , if they don't pinch his feet , and feel ok he will keep them, as for carbon soles I cannot comment as I've never owned a pair, personally I would only think you would want them if you were into racing

sorry I can't help any more than that , I would keep the pair that feels the most comfortable 

Latest Comments