Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cleaning question

I have a pretty quick routine foR cleaning my bike post ride, but the one area that continues to frustrate is the frame around the bottom bracket behind the chainring. Any tips for cleaning this hard to reach area without resorting to removing the chain rings?

Thanks!

jon

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

thecyclingscot | 7 years ago
1 like

A plant watering spray bottle filled will warm soapy water. Turn its nozzle until it it's a jet and bingo, you've got a hand-powered jet hose that's not powerful enough to do any damage but softens and gets rid of dirt. 

Waltersjonathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the suggestions! Small brush or flossing then!

severs1966 | 7 years ago
0 likes

A washing-up brush of the type that consists of a small head with nylon bristles, and a handle of about 20cm length should allow you to get the worst of the crud out from behind the crankset.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
3 likes

My lady is extremely hygenic and regularly throws away perfectly good cleaning items, hence I have England's finest collection of old toilet brushes, a much misunderstood item from the dedicated cyclist's armoury.  Some are straight, some are curved, some narrow and some wider.  Most are quite bristly but a few are softer to protect your paintwork.  I have yet to find a bike cleaning job that one of them won't reach.

Of course, if you are squeamish about their heritage you could always buy new in the Pound Shop but I've no idea what they might cost.

ficklewhippet replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
2 likes

mike the bike wrote:

My lady is extremely hygenic and regularly throws away perfectly good cleaning items, hence I have England's finest collection of old toilet brushes, a much misunderstood item from the dedicated cyclist's armoury.  Some are straight, some are curved, some narrow and some wider.  Most are quite bristly but a few are softer to protect your paintwork.  I have yet to find a bike cleaning job that one of them won't reach.

Of course, if you are squeamish about their heritage you could always buy new in the Pound Shop but I've no idea what they might cost.

A pound ?

Jimnm replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

love your humour  3

Jimnm replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
2 likes

mike the bike wrote:

love your humour  3

kenyond | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use an old rag and 'floss' it

Latest Comments