Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Power Meters

Does anyone have any recommendations for power meters they have used,

Hoping to get one to help me train better in the limited time I have,

Not too sure which ones would work with my bike as I have the following on the bike

Bottom Bracket:FSA Square Taper 68mm Shell

Cassette/Freewheel:SRAM PG830 - 11-28t

Chainset:FSA Tempo Compact 50/34t - 175mm

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Matt_S | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a Power2Max and a PowerTap SL+ wheel that I've built on to a number of rims over the years. I also used to have another PowerTap that was on my old commuter bike.

Given you have a standard 68mm BB shell, you can fit pretty much any crank based power meter using various bottom bracket types. The Power2Max I have is the Gen1 BOR688 with 30mm spindle, and I'm using it with the BSA cups and some Enduro angular contact bearings.

Something like the Power2Max or Quark would be my choice if I bought another one.

For you, you can use your current 8-speed chainrings, and have the potential to swap the crank onto a new bike, or add different chainrings if you upgrade the drivetrain.

The crank based power meters have the benefit over a powertap that you can have many sets of wheels. And, to me, given the rate that I chew through pedals, I don't want my power meter to be a disposable part of my bike.

wknight | 7 years ago
0 likes

An alternative to the Powerpod is the original product the iBike Newton used by tinkoff .  I also have the Garmin vector pedals very easy to fit. 

Comparing the  vector and ibike Newton they report very similar numbers, the only time I see a difference is when I am going downhill when ibike often says zero.

unless you are a pro rider I don't see the need for very accurate numbers and if you can save money by sacrificing a bit of accuracy why not 

goldeneye243 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I just bought a powerpod - Can go on any bike and easy to swap between bikes.

Some people don't like them, but it seems good to me so far...

ibr17xvii replied to goldeneye243 | 7 years ago
0 likes

goldeneye243 wrote:

I came with an ace of buying one when the Kickstarter funding was started but wanted to see how it progressed 1st. Always a bit wary of buying somehting that hasn't been tested by "real" people.

I like the look of it though I have to say.

philhubbard replied to ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

goldeneye243 wrote:

I came with an ace of buying one when the Kickstarter funding was started but wanted to see how it progressed 1st. Always a bit wary of buying somehting that hasn't been tested by "real" people.

Only issue the person in our club had with a powerpod was in groups or during races. Apparently the way they work is using wind measurements so if you are sat directly behind or in a group you may get varied results. There is a DCrainmaker review on this (really good for powermeter reviews)

ibr17xvii replied to philhubbard | 7 years ago
0 likes

philhubbard wrote:

ibr17xvii wrote:

goldeneye243 wrote:

Only issue the person in our club had with a powerpod was in groups or during races. Apparently the way they work is using wind measurements so if you are sat directly behind or in a group you may get varied results. There is a DCrainmaker review on this (really good for powermeter reviews)

I've read his review, it's very comprehensive.

The whole group riding thing doesn't bother me really as I'm usually out on my own.

ficklewhippet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

A Stages SRAM Rival compact might be a good combination for you. I've found my (non-Stages) crankset easy to fit and reliable (just one new GXP BB after 2 years, 2nd one still going strong).

I can't say the same for my Powertap SL+...it is quite old though.

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

As @philhubbard says - limited by the BB & cranks - other than a pedal-based system the other alternative would be to build a wheel with a PowerTap hub (or similar)... 

philhubbard | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi, because of the chainset you are using you are going to be severely limited in choice. You would probably have to go for a pedal-based option. 

If you wanted to go for a crank based option such as a Stages powermeter you would have to upgrade your chainset as well, potentially to something similar to a 105 level. 

Latest Comments