Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help! - advice wanted re cycling glasses/sunglasses

Hello...

I had an eye test today and need the lenses replacing in my glasses...

I got a road bike at Christmas and whenever I've been out on my bike I have just been wearing my normal glasses however as the opticians I visited had a 1/2 price offer on prescription sunglasses, I have thought about getting some.

Now I came away thinking I should perhaps get some that are suitable for cycling but can also be worn off the bike too.

Problem was that the shop only had VERY expensive Oakleys (even at half price) and I was neither impressed by the price or the glasses.

Can anyone recommend somewhere online that does prescription cycling glasses cheaper than the high street? and any decent brands etc?

Thanks

Chris 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Batchy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I normally wear varifocals but really only need the distance lens for cycling. They are quite adequate as I can easily read my stem mounted computer with them. I bought a pair of cool looking shades that also came with inserts . These were on offer at Planet X and cost about £20. I got Specsavers to glaze the inserts with my prescription for £30.

So my cycling shades (3 interchangeable inc.) cost £50 . No worries  dropping or losing then !

I carry my oldest pair of Vario 's in the soft carry bag and use these at cafe stops to read the cake menus and they come in handy if my shades get lost or damaged !

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I ordered my first ever set of prescription cycling glasses from Optilabs last night - can't wait! Glasses with photochromic lenses and anti-glare / anti-scratch coating for less than two hundred quid.

kitkat | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for optilabs. I don't like inserts so the prescription lens works best for me. For the same price as one pair of Oakleys you can have two pairs of optilabs. One set of shades and another clear pair for winter / nighttime riding. 

scooterjinx | 7 years ago
0 likes

optilabs are fairly good, I got a prescription pair for around £170

but I've now treated myself to a pair of adidas evil eye pro with inserts, £300 but well worth it. 

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

Prescription cycling glasses are probably the best money I've spent on cycling gear after getting my first really good pair of bib shorts.  Contact lenses dry out and I've had one blow out of my eye on a descent.  If you want some Oakleys, they needn't break the bank.  A pair of Racing Jackets (frame only) direct from Oakley costs £40 delivered.  You can then get them glazed at your optician - I went for Transitions lenses, so I always have the right lens for the weather.

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
0 likes

Optilabs....   I have taken the plunge this year and went for a set after spending years of my specs slipping down over my nose while riding....  I got a pair of specs...to the frame I wanted (which I could wear everyday without looking daft) in Vairfocal, transitions and all the works..... superb service and they make the lenses on site....

Since I got mine, my OH has got herself some on her distance prescription rather than the full varifocal... and a couple of pals are going through the process of buying at the moment too.... can't speak high enough of them.

Optician wanted around £500 all in for the frames and lens they had...I got it sorted for less than half that...

I am a human | 7 years ago
0 likes

One of the chaps in my club wears his normal glasses and got a Giro Air Attack with the detachable visor and he loves the combination. 

Jack Osbourne snr replied to I am a human | 7 years ago
0 likes
I am a human wrote:

One of the chaps in my club wears his normal glasses and got a Giro Air Attack with the detachable visor and he loves the combination. 

That's something I never thought of... you'd look a bit silly going down the shops though.

I have Puma sports glasses from Specsavers. £99 including glazed optical insert and mirror, orange and clear externals. They were covered by the ubiquitous Specsavers BOGOF deal so I got a blue pair and a red pair!

The vision through the front lenses is good rather than brilliant, but I do have a complicated prescription.

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm not in need of prescription glasses myself (20/35 vision  1 ) - but nearly all of those near here that are in that need swear by Optilabs.

CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered contact lenses and non-prescription sunglasses?

Edgeley replied to CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

I do that.  But I also find that once in a while, usually on a climb, the lenses pop out.  Which is very annoying / dangerous.  Talking to other biking people,  others also have had similar issues.

wycombewheeler replied to Edgeley | 7 years ago
1 like

Edgeley wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

I do that.  But I also find that once in a while, usually on a climb, the lenses pop out.  Which is very annoying / dangerous.  Talking to other biking people,  others also have had similar issues.

I'm left with the image such intense effort on the hill, that the eyes are bulging out cartoon style.

Useful thread though, I just wear my normal glasses, as i have never got on with contact lenses. the cycling spectacles listed above seem like good value, might give them a try.

therevokid | 7 years ago
0 likes

rudy project with optical insert .....

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have just bought these and I think they are well worth the money,5 changeable leneses

http://www.cyclingspectacles.com, I just rang them with my prescription a week later they were delivered 

Latest Comments