Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road aero wheel suggestion

I'm about to get a nice pair of aero wheels to replace my current old cheap China wheels (50 depth, old v-style). The are mainly to be used for time trials and cycling in groups with friends. Will be used on a road bike. I already have really good wheels for climbing. So what are the best wheels possible sub about 2100-2300 EUR?

So how would your rank the following?

Bontrager Aeolus 5

Reynolds 58

Profile Design 58

Mavic CXR 60

Zipp 404

Wheelsmith aero dimpled 58

..or some else I've missed?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

xnicke | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dura ace C50 are good value. The Roval..maybe. I've found some mixed reviews

watlina | 7 years ago
0 likes

Roval CLX 40 or 60

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

Very much sub 2100 euros are the shimano dura ace c50 which are very much in use at the TDF again this year. AllTricks.fr is selling them in clincher form at 1449e right now, and tubular at 1799e.

I know that they're a bit heavier than all-carbon wheels can be, but as a bit of a grumpy old Luddite stuck-in-the-mud, I like that they have an alloy rim brake track vs a carbon track which suits my continued misgivings over carbon rim brake performance.

xnicke | 7 years ago
0 likes

I like that they sort of admit that "competitor 1" is performing slightly better in their tunnel test.

xnicke | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Hadrons Ultimate looks really great!

fukawitribe replied to xnicke | 7 years ago
0 likes

xnicke wrote:

The Hadrons Ultimate looks really great!

The performance figures on them look pretty tasty - I really like the way that SwissSide publish and discuss their stuff, very refreshing and informative (no, i'm nothing to do with them, just like the cut of their jib  1 ).

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

SwissSide Hadron/Hadron Ultimates might be worth a look..

http://www.swissside.com/shop/category/hadron-collection/

xnicke | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah. Yes , definitely a great wheel. Very light and great hubs. A bit pricey though, and I'm not sure about the aerodynamic performance.

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

1. Bora Ultra.

Latest Comments