Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is my seatstay broken? Pics!

Noticed this today after a casual ride with the missus. Looks like a crack. It goes along three sides which is why I'm worried it's not something superficial. Pics aren't great but maybe they can give some idea.. Cracks don't seem deep, but still worrying. How could a crack like this happen, haven't crashed it and only have around 1000 miles on it since purchased at the end of May.

//s32.postimg.org/8nq0tu5jp/IMG_7819.jpg)
//s32.postimg.org/4twkkoo7p/IMG_7820.jpg)
//s32.postimg.org/pltmtf4b9/IMG_7821.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Wilmer000 | 7 years ago
2 likes

If the bike is less than 6 months old, the retailer is obliged to prove that this is not a fault. They can't wave their hands and say "it must have been this or that" or otherwise speculate or cast blame. They need to come up with evidence of mistreatment likely to result in this kind of failure. If they cannot prove the item was supplied without fault when you bought it then they are obliged to repair or exchange at minimum inconvenience to the purchaser, including return costs or the costs of a special trip to return the item to where you bought it (unless it clearly stated you would need to take/send it elsewhere at the time)

You are not required to negotiate with the manufacturer - they are not liable until there's injury/damage claim anyway - It is down to the retailer to investigate properly, involving the manufacturer as necessary in order to provide this proof. 

If the proof offered is unsatisfactory, then it's off to Citizens advice/Trading Standards for you.

Ditto if they refuse to engage with the issue.

Which.co.uk have a good page on this at /consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Good Luck!

tritecommentbot replied to Wilmer000 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wilmer000 wrote:

If the bike is less than 6 months old, the retailer is obliged to prove that this is not a fault. They can't wave their hands and say "it must have been this or that" or otherwise speculate or cast blame. They need to come up with evidence of mistreatment likely to result in this kind of failure. If they cannot prove the item was supplied without fault when you bought it then they are obliged to repair or exchange at minimum inconvenience to the purchaser, including return costs or the costs of a special trip to return the item to where you bought it (unless it clearly stated you would need to take/send it elsewhere at the time)

You are not required to negotiate with the manufacturer - they are not liable until there's injury/damage claim anyway - It is down to the retailer to investigate properly, involving the manufacturer as necessary in order to provide this proof. 

If the proof offered is unsatisfactory, then it's off to Citizens advice/Trading Standards for you.

Ditto if they refuse to engage with the issue.

Which.co.uk have a good page on this at /consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch Willmer000, wasn't aware of that. Going to look more into it! enlightened

duckbill | 7 years ago
0 likes

I must admit when i first saw the photo i thought it looked liked crush or impact damage. I cant really see how it could crack there through normal use. Like something fallen on it in the Garage?
I can see why Bianchi are challenging the claim.

tritecommentbot replied to duckbill | 7 years ago
0 likes

duckbill wrote:

I must admit when i first saw the photo i thought it looked liked crush or impact damage. I cant really see how it could crack there through normal use. Like something fallen on it in the Garage? I can see why Bianchi are challenging the claim.

Yeah that seems to be the general opinion at first sight. Either the kids or garage that I don't have either of enlightened

Something happened to it two Sundays ago almost certainly as I'd have noticed when washing it the Sat evening before. Maybe something kicked up from the road. No clue, and at this point I can't see me finding out as no-one offers any possibility other than something fell on it. It sits in the hallway by itself, nothing there other than a trackpump. 

Even the side it faces means that side is protected against the left hand wall as I wouldn't turn the bike around as I roll it in. 

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Any more news on the frame ?

tritecommentbot replied to Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Lincolndave wrote:

Any more news on the frame ?

Hoping to get some movement this week on it.. communications sort of died of last week. Will update with any progress made though, finger's crossed no

FMOAB | 7 years ago
4 likes

That's Bianchi off the list of options for the new bike then if that's the level of customer service I can expect if I need it.

Grahamd | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered Section 75 of consumer  credit act if you paid by credit card? Would be a good place to start.

tritecommentbot replied to Grahamd | 7 years ago
0 likes

Grahamd wrote:

Have you considered Section 75 of consumer  credit act if you paid by credit card? Would be a good place to start.

Didn't acually but yes I did put the bike on a credit card so this is definitely worth looking into if it all goes boobs up. Good thinking thanks!

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

This sounds like the US case. The guy persisted and he did get a replacement frame, eventually:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bianchi/cracked-infinito-frame-262178-8... (all 9 pages)

tritecommentbot replied to matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

This sounds like the US case. The guy persisted and he did get a replacement frame, eventually:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bianchi/cracked-infinito-frame-262178-8... (all 9 pages)

Thanks, reading through that at the moment!

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've seen a similar case on another forum with the previous model Infinito in the US.. the dealer argued that it was caused by a stick picked up and flung into the spokes - it can happen. They did replace the frame eventually though.

Let us know how you get on?

tritecommentbot replied to matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

I've seen a similar case on another forum with the previous model Infinito in the US.. the dealer argued that it was caused by a stick picked up and flung into the spokes - it can happen. They did replace the frame eventually though.

Let us know how you get on?

Bianchi turned me down today. Said it was caused by some sort of impact therefore not covered by warranty. Not sure what to do next. I'm dealing with the retailer who's in the middle, so I've no direct communication with them.

Offered me a new frame at over 2 grand..that's after the 20% discount!

Can I press them on it?

nadsta | 7 years ago
4 likes

Slightly ironic that's cracked straight through the 'Vibration cancelling technology' decal...

nadsta | 7 years ago
2 likes

I wouldn't panic. Your frame is not only within the Bianchi 5 year warranty but also covered via your dealer for at least 12 months as the retailer. Whoever you bought it from should be bending over backwards to sort you out. I'm guessing it's an Infinito CV, a premium frame, and you're entitled to be chewing the retailer's ear off to get it sorted ASAP. 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the doom guys.. appreciated 

Sent an email to the retailer I bought it from with pics after speaking to them on the phone. Still a part of me is hoping they'll say it's actually okay either from pics or after an inspection (it would have to shipped back to them in Newcastle, I'm in Edinburgh). 

If not then.. I'll be without a ride.. in summer, for weeks, while Bianchi decide what to do with it.

Been upgrading it bit by bit since I got it and just finished two weeks ago. Mustn't have paid enough tribute to the Gods.

Batchy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Looks done to me too ! So it's not just "Chinese" frames that break then ? ?

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
1 like

You have only had the bike 2 months, so warranty should cover it, if it's cracked on 3 sides, it's a crack

pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

grab a coin and tap from the top down and over the affected area if the tone changes it's toast.  Just on the pics though that looks done. Sorry!

wycombewheeler replied to pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

pablo wrote:

grab a coin and tap from the top down and over the affected area if the tone changes it's toast.  Just on the pics though that looks done. Sorry!

Agree it looks cracked, however,

It can most likely be fixed, chainstay cracks were around £200 to fix when mine broke.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Me too, I'd get that back to the shop with some warranty questions ASAP.

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Looks cracked to me.

Latest Comments