Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Bike for £6-700

Usual Question.

mate of mine is looking for a road bike and has 6-700 max to spend. Will have to be new as it's on Bike to work. I've suggested that a big brand is good as you get loads for your money at that price, but can you recomend any models at that level.

Keen recomend him something good so he gets into it and I have a regular cycling buddy!

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Well at least his bike will be put together by a
decent LBS and not fall to bits on his first outing...  4

Trek or Spesh and in that price range.

CrispyDuck | 13 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunately his bike scheme isn't through halfords  20

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

How much is that Boardman Team alu bike?

CrispyDuck | 13 years ago
0 likes

cheers dave, good advice as always

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

I had a low-end Trek for a long time and it was a really good bike, so I can recommend the 1.2, although if you can sell your friend up the 1.5 is better value. I'd try and get him on a Tiagra-level bike if you can, it's so much better than Sora and you're not going to notice the extra spend on a cycle to work scheme. For less than £800 you can have a Cannondale CAAD 8 with Tiagra, or the Trek 1.5, or a GT GTR series 3, or a Genesis Aether 20, or a Specialized Allez Elite...

If £700 really is the max then most of the big brands seem to compete nearer £600 than £700. There's still plenty of good bikes though, look for a bike that shares a frameset with more expensive models and expect Sora, not 2300.

Latest Comments