Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM rival groupset

Does anyone have experience of the above groupset ? I am looking at a bike with hydraulic disc brakes and this groupset on it. Am I right in thinking it equates to a shimano 105 groupset ?
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

thobson | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have sram rival hydro on one of my bikes and I love it. To me double tap is far more intuituive than shimano's setup. Whilst the shifters themselves are "clicky" i find the deraileur/cassette shifts are smoother than my ultegra Di2 setup on my other bike. My next bike will definitely have sram

Fish_n_Chips | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm using Rival 11x1 with Rival Hydro's on my CX.

I enjoy using them more than my Ultegra.  Simple and don't find the steps between changes too large. The brakes are great but not your powerful as large mtb discs.  

I use 160mm and find them way more powerful than any rim or wire operated calipers.  The feel is great.

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks folks, it turned out to be academic as I opted for a shimano equipped bike in the end

pruaga | 7 years ago
0 likes

My cyclocross/commuter bike is a 1x11 doubletap, with Shimano Ultegra on my road bike.  I thought the difference in shifting might confuse me, but it is surprisingly easy.  At first I had a few accidental wrong way shifts, but I got used to it very quickly.  

ct | 7 years ago
0 likes

No double tap simply means that to go up a gear you change like a shimano shift, the double tap is a slight wider shift to go down. The brake lever is fixed. All change is from the moveable paddle.

I no longer ride any shimano geared bikes. SRAM rocks. I ride Rival, it is ace.

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Rod, very helpful. Does double tap mean a double click to change gear ? I would not be sure about it if that was the case

Rod Marton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Conventionally Rival is thought of as slightly above 105 and Apex slightly below. I run 105 on one of my bikes and Apex on another, and frankly I prefer Apex. Doubletap shifting takes a little getting used to, but once you do it is second nature and you never fluff a gear change.Almost all the components are as least as good as 105: the one exception is the bottom bracket which wears out ridiculously quickly (and then as it is incompatible with anything else you need to replace with another Sram bottom bracket). Fortunately it's cheap and not too difficult a job. So I would be happier with  Rival than 105, just invest in a set of bottom bracket tools.

mike the bike replied to Rod Marton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rod Marton wrote:

Conventionally Rival is thought of as slightly above 105 ......

That would be unconventional round here.

Latest Comments