Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle issue

I'm struggling with my new bike Saddle I like cutaway saddles or very flat thin saddles. Using a selle Italia Sl at the mo, not liking it. Have a selle Italia Q-bik on my commuter which is fine but a bit to padded. Thinking of trying the wiggle cosine or trying something Fizik as you get to test them. Any guidance recommendations welcome. I don't like curved saddles any more strangely. I have a selle Italia slr on another bike which I love...but it's the wrong colour as its black and White my new bike is red black and grey/silver. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

saddles ...pah...I've a garage full of them....currently on a Fabric Scoop Shallow Elite....comfortable enough for 4-5 hour rides....but I tend to squirm around after about 3 hrs and stand a lot, move position, adjust the shorts, pad etc...just can't find that holy grail saddle...

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

As others have said, saddles are personal and the only way is to try, however having just been through the same process, here is my tuppence worth. I recently bought a Scott Addict, and it is set up quite aggressive. I found the stock saddle to be sitting between, rather than under, the sit bones. When riding on the drops, the weight went onto the front end of those bones, where they meet under the perineum. Not good. I then took a Fizik Antares on test, and still found the saddle to be between the sit bones, and when on the drops, compressing too much soft tissue. A sit on the Specialized test pad showed that my sit bones are wider than average, and the shop recommended a 155mm width rather than the 143mm which most folk use. Specialzed offer a 30 day no quibble swap or credit voucher for the value of the seat. In theory you can go through their whole range, 30 days on each! I took the Power Expert, which has a short nose, wide cutout, and wide flat rear. My weight is now firmly on the sit bones, and even in the drops, no pressure on the soft tissue, but its early days yet. They also offer the Ronin, which has similar rear profile, but a narrower cutout and longer nose. Which one you go for depends on whether, like me, you sit on the back of the saddle all the time, or move about a lot and like to put weight on the nose.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

Those Fizik test saddles, they're bright yellow, right?  There's no way a yellow saddle can be comfortable, it just can't.  My arse would be blinded by the colour, that's before we worry about any other aspects of its design.  It won't work.

FMOAB | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Planet X Superlight Team saddle is pretty flat.  I think it's modelled on one of the Fizik range.  Good value too at about £20. 

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm now the opposite way, gone from curved to flat. Didn't now about the saddle swop, cheers for that fukawitribe I will have a look. 

nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fizik arione and Antares are quite flat. My fave flat saddle is the fizik Kurve (chameleon) although I've never seen a test version of this. I dislike curved saddles but strangely I'm starting to get on with a lovely and slightly curved Fabric ALM after a few hundred kms. Saddle angle makes a bike difference on curved saddles so take your time getting it right 

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

As others have said, saddles very, very personal.  You may even find that between two saddles that appear very similar, one is great and the other is awful.  And losing/gaining weight can mean your favourite saddle is no longer right!

That said, a couple to think about:

Specialized Ronin (various other Specialized too)

Selle San Marco Mantra

But with all, I would recommend a proper length ride to test.  A saddle that feels great for 30 minutes can feel awful after 2 hours. 

Oh, and the saddle positioning can make a big difference too - too far forward/back/tipped up/tipped down can all make a difference.

Good luck!!

Jimnm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps you may need one of these... It's worth a look, but the weight might be an issue for you.

https://selleanatomica.com/       Good luck! 

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you have a Specialized store nearby it might be worth having a look. They also have a few flatter cutaway saddles and do a saddle fit and try-and-buy scheme. There's always the saddle swap thread over on Bike Radar too, more random but bit of variety.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40112&t=12938414&start=340

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

I agree it's a very personal issue and to be fair I don't think looking at them really helps, you can't really tell until you have spent some time in the saddle. I know some Fizik dealers who let you use the yellow trial saddles and will probably end up going down that route. 

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think that saddles are a personal item on any bike, I'd what suits and is cormfotable for me might not suit anyone else or visa versa, but like yourself I prefer sella Italia saddles,

do you not have any local bike shops were you can see the saddle before buying?

Latest Comments