Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Fibre Issue - Ribble Gran Fondo 2015

Hello,

I have a Ribble Gran Fondo http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-gran-fondo/

I have an issue in which my hangar snapped and pulled my derailleur off and snapped my chain. I have replaced all the pieces but it seems that the rear dropout has had some of the material chipped away so now my gear shifiting seems to be erratic.

My first question is, are the dropouts made of carbon or painted with some kind of carbon looking paint? 

I think the issue is that the hangar doesnt have enough material to securely fasten to and it is affecting my shifting. I dont have any pictures at present but can post afew this evening

Cheers

Simon

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Ribble albeit not a Gran Fondo which I've had a couple of minor issues with (1 of them my fault) which they fixed promptly, with no fuss & under warranty.

They seem to get a bad rap in places for after sales service but my experience has been the complete opposite - touch wood.............

I would certinily buy another bike from them.

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Any feedback from Ribble yet Simon?

mancsi | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have just emailed them to enquire. The below is from their website,

''6 Year Warranty for Ribble Branded Frames and Forks

At Ribble, we care about every single bike we have made and sold, and we want you to have confidence in purchasing one of our award winning frames. That’s why we are offering a 6 Year Warranty on Ribble branded frames and forks to the original purchaser against manufacturing defects bought from 1st July 2016. Contact us for further information.''

I havent had any issues with them, i just hope they can resolve it before Mark Cavendish's Rise Above Sportive or I may be selling my 100 mile entry on the cheap!

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simon, what warranty do Ribble offer with the frame? Have you contacted Ribble about this problem

i was looking at this bike on the bike builder,  and a canyon endurance both specs about the same but the Ribble is £300 cheaper, I might wait to see what the outcome is s with yours before I place my order,can you please keep us informed, thanks Dave

Stu Kerton | 7 years ago
0 likes

I owned a Gran Fondo, one of the early ones back in 2011 when the paint was white at the dropouts and movement between the carbon frame and the alloy dropouts caused the paint to crack which resulted in a lot of returns.

It was never a structural issue but they changed the colourway of the frame to paint the dropouts black to hide the cracks. I'd bet your frame is the same - black painted alloy dropouts.

If material was removed from the dropout on one side that would cause alignment issues for the wheel resulting in poor shifting.

kev-s replied to Stu Kerton | 7 years ago
1 like

Stu Kerton wrote:

I owned a Gran Fondo, one of the early ones back in 2011 when the paint was white at the dropouts and movement between the carbon frame and the alloy dropouts caused the paint to crack which resulted in a lot of returns.

It was never a structural issue but they changed the colourway of the frame to paint the dropouts black to hide the cracks. I'd bet your frame is the same - black painted alloy dropouts.

If material was removed from the dropout on one side that would cause alignment issues for the wheel resulting in poor shifting.

Mine had the same issue, went back for repair twice, the 2nd time they didnt even bother to try and fix it and shipped it back untouched

Asked for my money back and they tried to fob me off and said that because it was bought on a cyclescheme that they couldnt do refunds

Got trading standards involved and within 2 days Ribble arranged for the bike to be collected and refunded the cyclescheme

Went Italian (Colnago) after that and have never had any issues

Will never buy a bike from Ribble ever again

Latest Comments