Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Orthotic insoles for knee and back soreness

Hi all.  Newbie here..

I've been mountain biking 10+ years and the last year has been all about road biking.

im finding that I get Pain on the outer of my knee after ridding.  This fizzles away as I build up distance.  

More annoying is lower back lumber hip tightening  pain which coincides with a tightening of my hamstring when I power up on climbs and on flats. 

I'm trying various physio stretches and core strengthening but am curious to whether it's with trying some foot orthotics.  Anyone had experience?

I definatly overpronate when I run and walk. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

danjthomas | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your reply. I've definatly got one leg stronger than the other. I'm trying to physio it away and started core work as I'm definatly weak there. Got some glute strengthening and hip stretches to do. Time will tell.

I've had a bike fit. I'm delivering more power now but not made a difference to this issue. Only ridding brings on my back issue and It fades after a while so hopefully it's not disk related!!

davidgray968 | 7 years ago
0 likes

You don't say in your question whether you have had a bike fit since moving over to the road. A colleague of mine had one as he was in a similar situation but without the years on an MTB behind him. His saddle was lowered by 1 and a half centimetres and they fitted insoles too to stop his knees rotating when pedalling and although he still has the normal new to biking niggles he is a lot better. Exercising will strengthen the weak muscles but if you don't eliminate any possible cause you will go around incircles and possibly do more damage in the process.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bought a foam roller and tried it for about 7 seconds - absolute agony! Luckily mine went away eventually with seat at the correct height and the stretching.

thereverent | 7 years ago
0 likes

The British cycling link above is very good.

Using a foam roller (or a lacross ball) to break down knots in muscles is painful, but sometimes the best way as streaching won't always sort it out.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yep, just like me. Although I had ITB develop suddenly from distance running last November. Once you get it, it sticks to you. Basically you've overdone it and it's a PITA to reset. (For me I had a marathon, a trail run and a mountain climb all in 5 days on holiday). I stopped running shortly after and have no plans on starting again. Cycling's way more fun anyway, so no loss.

Over 6 months later, still had the ITB problem though on the bike so..

I found stretches that works for me. Done the roller stuff. Hated it.

Indian Knot one in this link is my must do stretch.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20130617-Phil-Bur...

Also do a back stretch if not too lazy. Do 2 or 3 times a week. I have a full slammed stem and saddle raised position and there's no way I'd be able ride centuries like that so soon as a recent rider without stretching.

Time off doesn't really help ITB. Can be with you for years if you don't attack it aggressively they say.

I have some stiffness in my left knee recently, I think that's from restriction on the cleats though. Need my toes pointing out more. (My ITB issue was/is right leg).

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had very bad ITB syndrome in my left knee last year. I think my saddle was too high so I lowered it an inch and got rid of the pain by doing those stretches where you stand on one leg and hold the other foot up behind you to stretch the muscles at the front of your upper leg.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had power back pain on the left and hamstring pain on the right.

My right glute was very weak compared to my left and the hamstring was taking a lot of the load first when I tried to do the glute exercises. Resistance band stuff like monster walks and walking up stairs and doing glute bridges with the band on seem to have helped and the lower back seems a lot better and the glutes are actually firing now, if still imbalanced.

Probably no harm in the strengthening the glutes anyway as it's also helped my hip flexor tightness.

thereverent | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use superfeet in my cycling shoes and have found them very good.

if you have pain onthe outside of the knee, have you tried useing a foam roller on your IT band?

Latest Comments