Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Race machines with BSA bb

Guys,

I'm sort of looking for, as some future purchase, a nice and not very expensive racy machine (1000-2000 pounds). It can be carbon or aluminium and I would like to hear some ideas from you.

Key point is BSA bottom bracket - given lots of stories I heard about press-fit bottom brackets.

So far these are my research results worth mentioning:

Aluminum:

-Bianch Freccia celeste

-BMC Teammachine ALR Ultegra

-Condor Italia RC (new model)

-Cinelli Experience

-Ribble 7005 Ultralite Racing

Carbon:

Scott Foil 30 (new model) - expensive

Cinelli Saetta Radical

Colnago AC-R

Any interesting to propose?

Thanks guys,

O

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Guys,

Let me add few more. Ribble HF83 uses a BSA bottom bracket. I checked out Bianchi and only Intenso (endurance machine). I mentioned Freccia Celeste - more racy.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Merida's Scultura line, as far as I can tell, uses BSA bottom bracket shells.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Where do I sign yes ?

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Guys, 

Thanks for the suggestions. I've also realised that Pinarello does all of their carbon frames with Italian threaded BBs.

It kind of defeats other companies' arguments around BB stiffness etc. If it's stiff enough for Froome, it'll be stiff enough for me as well.

Let's start a petition to kill all PF BB production :).

O

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
1 like

I never said it was that Ridley - its a previous years frame

1 like

It is. It has a Ridley Badge. It has all the Ridley 4ZA finishing kit. Whoever denied it at Merlin, well, someone else at Merlin confirmed it to Cyclist. See here: http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/504/merlin-cordite-review

1 like

Merlin Cordite - its really a Hi-Mod Ridley. You wont find a better, sensible bottom bracket bike for the money https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-cordite-ultegra-road-bike-84146.html

matthewn5 replied to Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
1 like

cyclesteffer wrote:

Merlin Cordite - its really a Hi-Mod Ridley. You wont find a better, sensible bottom bracket bike for the money https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-cordite-ultegra-road-bike-84146.html

That's not true, just look at the two next to each other. Similar sure, but a host of differences if you look closely. Merlin denies it too.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're looking to build the bike up yourself, look for a NOS Colnago on Ebay. My 2009 EPS frame was £1100 and has a lovely BSA threaded BB. Brilliant bike BTW.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Except for a noise like the chirpings of a demented chipmunk whenever you give it the beans. My Giant made it to ~2,000 miles quietly. It's now at 2,500 miles and getting progressively worse. I'll be sticking with threaded for any n+1s I might pick up.

Latest Comments