Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Roof Rack Bike Carriers - Help & Recommendations Please!

This summer, the young 'uns bike is too big to squeeze in the boot like previous outings...(rear rack no good, as we tow a caravan...).which means we need 3 on the roof: I've got  2 mid range H***ords jobs on there at the moment,  for Mum & Dad, bikes....and now need a third -  or a total change of system...it's quite a tall car, but I'm not, so reaching across is an issue (without the Caravan step.....).  Been looking at the one that locks the front wheel, and the new Thule that hooks under the tube before tightening....what else is there.....?? Thanks in advance for advice....apologies for stupid questions!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Crashboy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for suggestions so far, to respond:

No rack on back of 'van as it would foul the window, and would I think put the weight in the wrong place as you say.

Wheel out and in the boot is pretty much what we do, but was hoping to avoid as with all the other crapola we carry (!) it usually means putting the split seat down, losing the parcel shelf thing (it's a retractable job that has a huge bar across the car unless you take it out totally.

In the van for travelling we can and have done with careful padding, but for days out etc, we need all three on the car....it's an X3 and I'm on the cusp of UK average height, so reaching is a problem (although I can use the caravan step!)

Anybody used a rear vehicle / towball mounted rack whilst towing a caravan at all? I know it limits the turning circle ever further....

Chris James | 7 years ago
0 likes

Can you take a wheel / both wheels of one off the kid's bike, and would that fit in the boot?

That's what i do with one of my boys' Luath 26. The other three bikes go on the roof. I use Thule 591 carriers which are easy enogh to load, but I am 6 foot and the car is a Mondeo estate, so that may differ from your setup. What do you do when you are not towing the caravan?

I wouldn't put a bike loose in our caravan as I would be worried about it shifting during towing and destroying all the woodwork in the van. It isn't ideal - we are thinking about getting a dual cab van instead as it would be good for cyclocross too.

As another poster has sugegsted, you can get rear panel mounted bike carriers, but that might depend on your exact model and could be expensive to fit. It also puts a fair bit of weight exactly where you don't want it for towing.

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

Can't you put the (excess) bikes in the caravan?

MandaiMetric | 7 years ago
0 likes

Can you put a rear rack on the caravan?

I've used Thule roof (no rails) and rear (tow bar fitting) racks. The rear rack was easy fit to the hitch, and was rock solid for the 1600 mile round trip. The roof rack was ok, but was noisy (in the wind) and more hassle to fit and remove.

Latest Comments