Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Live segments make edge 520 slow to turn on

I'm having a bit of an issue with live segments on a Garmin edge 520, and am trying to find out if anyone else has similar issues. 

The basic problem is that if I have strava live segments setup the Garmin unit takes about 5 minutes to turn on; it spends a long time on the splash screen. If I connect the unit to a computer there are a lot of .fit files in the newfiles directory, if I delete these the unit boots quickly but they come back after a sync and then the slow boot problem is back.

Garmin support have told me to format the unit, which is a short term fix as the files and slowness just come back.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Or can you use live segments on a 520 without problems?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

pruaga | 7 years ago
0 likes

A final update, for the benefit of anyone who stumbles across this in the future.

After lots more crashes and resets Garmin replaced the unit under warranty.  It took a long time of emailing back and forth as it took them a week or so to reply to each email.  I had to pay the postage to return the unit to them, but they sent out a brand new bundle complete with speed/cadence sensors and heart rate monitor.  That's a bit of a bonus as I can now have sensors on each bike.

I've not had chance to use the new unit much yet, so I'm hoping that the problems don't come back.

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

The long splash screen is the device processing new live segment data.  When you enable a new live segment, a .fit file is downloaded to NewFiles.  The device takes a looong time to process these files.  Somtimes, one of the files contains corrupt data which prevents the device starting at all.  Garmin support don't care about this.

pruaga | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'll keep pushing with Garmin. The support does seem to be a bit rubbish really, takes them a week to reply to an email without any useful info in it.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Email Garmin again, say you tried that stuff and they'll send you an RMA to send it back to them. They'll ship you out a refurb.

Had countless devices over the years from Garmin and yes, sometimes a reset does actually solve problems, but a few times I've had to send units back. Different serials have different problems. Their QC isn't great.

Don't think I've ever had a Garmin where everything worked on it. My current F3 has a memory bug, unfixable. My Edge 1000 currently can't receive texts and notifications. Live Segments worked for a week, then some of them stopped popping.  

Kapelmuur | 7 years ago
0 likes

No problems, mine turns on in seconds.

Latest Comments