Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Flat pedal help

My wife is trying to get back into road riding with me.

She had some half clips on her pedals with a set of R540 pedals waiting. BUT to get her confidence wants some flat pedals for the time being.

Her ideal would be:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wellgo-Touring-Platform-Pedals-Sealed/dp/B006WR...

But I can't find them anywhere.

So over to you, you helpful bunch, what have you seen that are similar?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 7 years ago
0 likes

Maybe try mtb spd's?

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Good looking flat pedal would be Giant's Liv Sport.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/68318/Giant_Liv_Sport_Aluminiu...

Got them for the missus before she was ready for clipless. I still have them, not a mark on them, look like new. They're pricey so in the off chance she wants them give me a shout and I'll sell to you cheaper.

Super Domestique replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes
unconstituted wrote:

Good looking flat pedal would be Giant's Liv Sport.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/68318/Giant_Liv_Sport_Aluminiu...

Got them for the missus before she was ready for clipless. I still have them, not a mark on them, look like new. They're pricey so in the off chance she wants them give me a shout and I'll sell to you cheaper.

What colour? (It may make a difference  1 )

Thanks for the offer btw.

Might be interested depending on the plastic platform experiment turns out.

Super Domestique | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think it is the 'look' of the mtb pedal that put her off and the Wellgo I'd originally posted looking very much like an spd sl pedal.

That said, for now, I've fitted some flat plastic (test ride pedals) platform style ones and see how we go from there.

Thanks for the feed back.

bechdan replied to Super Domestique | 7 years ago
1 like
Super Domestique wrote:

I think it is the 'look' of the mtb pedal that put her off and the Wellgo I'd originally posted looking very much like an spd sl pedal.

Tell her to stop looking at her pedals when shes cycling she wont notice their appearance, and neither will anybody else!

Super Domestique replied to bechdan | 7 years ago
0 likes
bechdan wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

Tell her to stop looking at her pedals when shes cycling she wont notice their appearance, and neither will anybody else!

Not married then  3  1

Thanks I'll suggest it!

rogermerriman | 7 years ago
0 likes

if she uses MG1 pedals offroad any reason she can't on road?

I use DMR pedals on my Cross bike, now admitly i'm a) a MTBer b) the bottom bracket is higher so pedal strike isn't a issue. c) they don't look odd on such a bike.

most road flats have very little in way of grip/studs so can be rather unneving once wet and slippery, pedals job is to grip to your shoe either by spikes/clips/SPD etc

Super Domestique | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks.

That was the plan with the half clip, but she just doesn't feel right with them.

Then she saw those (aesthetics are important to her too) wellgo and felt they looked like a road version of the MG1 mtb pedal she uses offroad.

Very valid point on the platform size.

More food for thought.

Latest Comments