Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

disc brakes.

Went into my LBS the other day, the proprietor  had a protective glove on one hand a two finger protector on the other. Appently he had a run in with a disc while repairng a bike and was feeling a litte rueful. He is a man of great experience and a great LBS favourite in our area with  respect when it comes to repairs and spares. Discs don't suit everyone.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

The most I've managed to injure myself with while working on my disc-braked cyclocross bike is when I hit the back of my hand on the rotor when trying to pull my track pump's chuck from the valve.

Granted, there's the momentary pain of impact, and it'll leave a distinct mark because of the thinness of the rotor, but it's not really sharp at all. Disc brake rotors being referred to as "chainsaws" is ridiculous fearmongering IMHO.

I have TRP's Spyre brakes and TRP's own rotors, if it's any help. They're actually rather blunt.

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
7 likes

Maybe the reason that there are never any first hand accounts of injury due to disc brakes is because it's really difficult to type using only the bloody stumps of your severed fingers?

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

The whole debate about disc brakes being dangerous is bollocks. Every disc brake rotor I have ever seen has the two edges bevelled slightly, they're not remotely sharp.

crazy-legs | 7 years ago
2 likes

A mechanic at my LBS severed a portion of his finger getting it trapped between the chain and  the chainring.

Chains & chainrings don't suit everyone. Belt drive for all bikes from now on...

kev-s | 7 years ago
0 likes

I take it he wears a protective glove on one hand a two finger protector on the other when working on the crank or cassette as they have sharp teeth and you can get your fingers trapped/caught between them and the chain

barbarus | 7 years ago
1 like

I've just burned mine to make sure they don't injure me.

japes | 7 years ago
0 likes

well that settles it, they must be banned immediatley. 

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
4 likes

I was in my garage earlier - replacing the disc brake pads on my bike. Even though I removed and replaced both wheels (including disc rotors) and had to make a trip to the bin (which includes a step) I suffered no injury at all and I wasn't even wearing high vis clothes!

The plural of anecdote isn't data.

What's your point? That your local LBS man is a little careless and sustained an injury? or that disc brakes are the spawn of Satan?

Latest Comments