Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle (and everything) sore

I was lucky enough to take part in the Runway Rumble last weekend - a 4hr thump around Gloucestershire airport with about 280 other riders. It was great, and I would love to do it again, but...

I was in constant pain for most of the event. At about 45mins in my perenium felt as if it has been attend to vigorously with a meat hammer, and I was unable to feel any of my toes. This undesirable state of affairs lasted for the whole event. At about 1hr30m I started getting hand and forearm cramps, and a tight lower back (though in fairness the latter was largely rectified by a 10min pitstop at the halfway mark). The worst pain kicked in just before the 3hr mark where I started to get additional leg cramps, at one point hitting the inside of both quads and a hamstring. I got through to the 4hr mark (just) with another short pitstop, but by this stage was unable to get off my bike due to severe leg cramps - I attempted the sideways falling dismount.

I'd love to do this event and other similar excursions again, as well as return to my old touring habits once my genetic sequels are a bit older. However, I'm concerned about the level of discomfort I experienced, and the fact that similar symptoms are evidencing themselves in shorter rides, albeit in a less severe fashion.

Any advice or guidance (training, fitting, stretching, nutrition, equipment, etc.) would be very welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

bigdanbro | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for feedback. By way of additional context:

Personal - nearly 40, c80kg, 12% body fat,  resting heart rate 45bpm. Bp pretty close to 120/80. Don't smoke, do drink. Borderline veggie. Can usually run 10k in 45m, but last run was 2 years ago.

Riding - lot of day rides in my late teens and 20s, c.50-60miles, pub lunches a must. Last 4 years commuting with a purpose, 40-60miles per week, average speed between 17-20mph with a full load of panniers. Over last year the occasional club ride, c. once every couple of months - 2hrs and 30+miles.

Gear- steel audax bike (mud guards and pannier frame), howies bib-shorts (first ever pair of padded shorts), that I got a couple of years ago. Shoes - specialized rime. Bar tape - original to the bike (5yo). Tyres - 28mm gator skins at 80psi. Saddle  - charge spoon.

Have just popped in to lbs to arrange a bike fit.

Bristol Bullet | 7 years ago
0 likes

You say 'return to my old touring habits' so sounds like you're not a complete newbie to cycling but how much and what sort of cycling have you done in the last 6 months ? How old are you ? Are you a fit person or an overweight couch-potato ? Were you on a new or borrowed bike ? Were you wearing proper padded cycling shorts ? Do you eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg ? Do you smoke or drink alcohol ? And by 'genetic sequels' I assume you mean your kids?

samcannadine | 7 years ago
0 likes

To me it sounds like bike fit. IE saddle height,reach. Numb feet might be shoes? Saddle sore could be wrong saddle width or shape or just height and position. If you are used to doing lots of milage on a bike then it's probably not just the muscles not being used to it. Nutrition plays a part if your details hydrated you cramp easy. So eating and drinking on a bike is a big part

Latest Comments