Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Bike Bar Plug Lights - Are they any good?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparrowoptics/816450731?token=d84c0926

I feel like these would be useful in the city, has anyone had experience with different kind of bike lights?

Would you think of additional visibility options if you already have a rear light?

Might buy one, but not sure yet...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Cycloclone | 7 years ago
0 likes

So some key features to look for in LED bar plugs:
 - a wide angle is good as long as it doesn't confuse drivers in going the other direction
 - a rubber bung or set screw of some sort seems to be standard to secure the thing in place.

What kind of battery life do you get out of your button cells?

Trying to make only one purchase this time

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a set made by GUB (china/ebay) mid price, not the extra cheap  £2 type. Use 2 x button cell batteries and give out a decent light. Like TypeVertigo the red LED is behind a semi opaque white cover and only illuminates back ward, so no risk of confusing those in front of you...

Those on the kickstarter link use a CR type battery, which IMO is too expensive for only 20 hrs output. Even if you used rechargeables, the effort of constantly removing to recharge would be a PITA. Mine are held in by an expanding rubber bung that uses a hex headed bolt to tighten the bung, I've had no issues with lossening or vibration causing them to pop out. 

I'm happey enough...and button cells are literally pennies to replace.

The added illumination keeps me happy enough, adding another focal point for/catching the eye of the motorists behind me.

Cycloclone | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have used a similar product that was very bright and found that my arms blocked the lights most of the time.

Even on the dark streets the lights didn't kill my nightvision due to it being red.

It looks like there's a sheath over the housing that provides the friction fit, maybe some electrical tape?

Anyway, the product I tried got people to notice me waaay earlier than with just the rear light.

pruaga | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd be concerned that if they are as bright and eyecatching as they claim that they would drive me mad.  Having something constantly flashing away at the bottom of your periferal vision would get tiring pretty quickly.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of those, a cheap Chinese-made pair with anodized blue shells running off a couple of button-cell batteries for each bar end plug. The emitted light itself is red, shown through a hazy white button, which you press to turn it on and off.

I do agree that my particular pair works better on a bike with flat handlebars. I did have to tighten the rubber bung that keeps them anchored in place inside the handlebar. However, any added visibility is good visibility. I'm just not sure they're visible from behind when I commute with my panniers. There are a lot of far worse bike-related things to support on Kickstarter.

nsmithson2010 | 7 years ago
1 like

My wife bought me a set of these for Christmas and i have to say, unless you really care about the weight they are excellent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WingLights-Fixed-Direction-Indicators-Bicycles/...

They work better on Flat Bars than they do on the drops but still as an added bonus are great

On a better note however if your looking at these why not consider the below

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tacx-lumos-light-set/rp-prod74154

These act as a front and a rear, a former colleague of mine had a set (not sure if the same make or not) for commuting for additional visibility and said they were excellent

rasalati | 7 years ago
0 likes

Interesting, but I wouldn't buy them.

First off, I've had troubles with bar plugs coming out (I must be doing something wrong), and have settled with a set that tighten with a screw. I'd be concerned about them falling out. 

Secondly, "visible from all angles". I don't want red LEDs visible to cars in front of me. Granted, I would have my main white light going too, but they seem like they could muddy the waters.

Lastly, scare-mongering marketing (even if an anecdote). No thanks.

Latest Comments